5 Things I Learned from Joining the #SleepRevolution

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

As college students, sleep is often at the bottom of our priorities. My Mustang Corral leader once told our group that in college you could choose two out of three: sleep, study, or socialize, but you can never do all three. This can be difficult to accept, and although sometimes I come close to thinking I’ve achieved all three, I speak from three-years of college experience when I say she was right. Recently, I joined the bedtime movement touted in Arianna Huffington’s new book, The Sleep Revolution, and tested out one of her sleep kits. My kit included an eye mask with #SleepRevolution written across (now I can be social media savvy even in my dreams!), an adorable accent pillow, and a copy of Huffington’s book. Check out my five highlights:

Still can’t get over this cheeky accent pillow!

1. I don’t like sleep masks, but they are supposed to be very good for you. Personally, I find eye masks uncomfortable to wear when going to bed. I always end up thinking more about the mask and less about falling asleep. That being said, eye masks are actually supposed to be really great for helping you sleep better at night. If you find yourself always waking up to sunlight streaming through the blinds, or you have a roommate who stays up late, a sleep mask could drastically help you out! But, definitely try out a few to see what works best for you!

2. A good pillow can make all the difference. Though the pillow included with the sleep kit isn’t standard size, it is hug-sized and the super-soft fabric sham is made from natural fibers that were a dream to sleep on. (Word to the wise though, do not unzip the Coco-Mat sham unless you want little white fuzzies all over your bed- I speak from experience.) Investing in a great pillow that fits your needs can be a worthy cause, and fighting the desire to be lazy and changing your pillow case frequently can benefit your sleep and your skin!

3. You can actually collapse from sleep deprivation. This is a total wake up call. Huffington starts off her book by telling the story of how she collapsed at work from a long week of not getting enough sleep and unfortunately that’s something college students know all too well. Next time you think nothing of pulling an all-nighter, take a step back and consider if it’s really worth it.

4. The Sleep Revolution Manifesto statement #7: “The bedroom is for sleep, not for work.” #Guilty. I’m the number one perpetrator of doing homework in bed. It’s obviously super hard to separate the two when you live in a 10×10 space, but if you can get away it’s worth it to head to Fondren or even downstairs to a common area so that you can leave everything at the door when it’s time to go back to your room.

5. The Sleep Revolution Manifesto statement #10: “Great pajamas are a great investment.” My housemates an attest to my obsession with satin pajama sets. Although they are super stylish and make me feel put-together even while sleeping, I noticed that I actually sleep better when I wear them! Investing in at least one pair (or some other comfortable lounge-wear instead of your usual sorority t-shirts) can greatly benefit your sleep. And with so many cute styles it’s a chance to show off your personality around the dorm!
India is a former campus correspondent at Southern Methodist University and a former national news blogger at HerCampus.com. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram at @IndiaPougher!