5 Face Masks You Must Try Right Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMU chapter.

Why is it that your face is so clear and healthy when you’re home and not so much while I’m at school? Maybe its the fact that at home I average about 12 hours of sleep a night and drink nothing but water? Well clearly, thats not a possibility on campus, so I’ve reviewed several of the greatest new face masks to get on track to healthier skin.

1. Peter Thomas Roth Rose Stem Cell Bio Repair Gel, $52 at Sephora

Not only is this product pretty to look at but it will leave you looking pretty too! It’s a hydrating gel mask made with rose stem cells and extracts with can give you younger looking, glowing skin. To use, apply a thin layer of this rose smelling gel for 20 minutes or sleep in it. Do not apply on the sensitive under-eye area. Caution: This product contains Rosa Damascena Oil and can cause allergic reactions including red bumps and swelling. It is not for seriously sensitive skin or for those with a history of contact allergies!

2. Dr. Brandt Magnetight Age-Defier Mask, $75 at Sephora

This mask is as fun as it is powerful! The jar contains a dark gray mixture that is actually an iron based powder formula. The electromagnetic interaction with your skin purifies and increases the skins ability to rejuvenate itself. This is safe for all skin types, and can be used two to three times per week. A thin layer left on for 5-10 minutes is all it takes. The fun comes when you remove the mask with the corresponding triangular shaped magnet. You simply cover the magnet with a tissue and “scrape” the mask off. If you listen closely you can actually hear the mask (and your impurities) being “vacuumed” off your skin! The mask leaves behind a serum that you massage in leaving your skin feeling absolutely amazing. 

3. GLAMGLOW Thirstymud Hydrating Treatment, $69 at Sephora

All the beauty girls know this is a well-loved brand that is good for all types of skin. This product contains hyaluronic acid, honey, and ginger root andlineoleic acid for super hydration. You’ll love the fact that it does NOT contain parabens, sulfates or phthalates. This mask can be used two to three times per week for 10-20 mins, or for those who suffer with dry skin it can be used as a night treatment. This mask is also great for long flights home! It leaves your skin feeling incredibly soft.

4. Peter Thomas Roth Irish Moor Mud Mask $58 at Sephora

This is a thick black mud mask for extreme cleaning and purification, after a long weekend of partying. It contains Irish Moor Mud with a high concentration of bio-minerals and vitamins apparently found only in the mud from thousands of years of plant life and whatever else has soaked into the earth; Hijiiki Seeweed–a sea vegetable which contains high levels of calcium, iron vit B1, B2 and vitamin C. The volcanic Ash and charcoal temporarily clean and shrink your pores. Caution: This stuff is black and will definitely stain your washcloths as you remove it. And will get into the wash, so side note- wash with other similarly dark items.

5. Peter Thomas Roth 24K Gold Mask, $80 at Sephora

This is a beautiful gold shimmering gel mask which looks fabulous on the counter, and feels very “Hollywood” while wearing. It’s made from Colloidal Gold which has been used in anti-aging skin care products for a very long time, caffeine—to de-puff and temporarily tighten and firm the skin, and hyaluronic acid to plump up fine lines and “firm” the skin This is a great morning mask because of the caffeine and tightening effect, and there’s no redness afterward. Who doesn’t need this on a Friday morning after a fun Thursday night out? 

Remember, no mask is a miracle! You cannot cure your skin woes overnight, but face masks are a great start to healthier skin. 

We are the SMU Team.