Dressing for Success: The Do’s and Don’ts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

We all have our own style, whether you realize it or not- hipster, preppy, grunge or glam? Fashion is always one of the best modes of self-expression.

As college students, we are able to dress any way we want, having just moved away from the high school phase and before entering the real world. But inevitably, there’s a time when dressing for the career you want becomes necessity. When it comes time for an interview, internship, or even a real job, toss aside those oversize vintage sweaters from Urban Outfitters and especially those favorite slippers you wear around the dorm, because during the work week, it’s time to transform into a professional!

Here are our DO’s and DON’Ts of dressing for interviews, internships & jobs…

DO be on the conservative side. No cleavage, sheer material, or bandage skirts.

DO go for a more natural & neutral look. Flashy colors are almost always a definite no. Makeup should also be applied to appear as natural as possible. Smoky eyes? Save that for the weekend!

DO go light on the perfume. You want to smell nice, not smell up the whole office.

DO try to retain some aspect of your personal style. This doesn’t mean rocking those long feather earrings and fringe purse. Try pairing your work-appropriate pencil skirt and blazer with a chic pair of heels instead.

DO check out stores like J. Crew and Banana Republic for work-appropriate (and stylish) clothing!

DON’T wear jeans or leggings. You’re going to work, not to class.

DON’T wear flip-flops. If you can’t walk in heels, try a pair of flats.

DON’T wear anything too tight. That body con dress will be perfect for the club, not the office.

DON’T be boring with your choices. We’re still young, so don’t give up on style all together! Tailored pants and a blazer over a white button up shirt every day is SO boring…try to mix it up!

Cute weekend look, but a DON’T for work…

Here’s a pretty good balance of style and modesty. This could be a DO for work (in most cases)…

Depending on what industry you’re going into, there may be more lenience to the rules of dressing. For example, a student who wants to be a lawyer is going to have to dress in more formal business attire than the future editor of Vogue magazine, who will need to retain a grasp on personal and trending styles when choosing outfits for work.

Basically, dress for the job you want. Don’t wear anything you would wear to a party or club, and make sure to always feel comfortable and confident in your wardrobe choices. Your clothes can make or break a first impression!

Photo Sources:

http://www.peoplestylewatch.com/people/stylewatch/gallery/0,,20614935,00.html

http://atlantic-pacific.blogspot.com.ar/

Juliana is a senior Media Studies, Journalism and Digital Arts major with a minor in Global Studies at St. Michael's College. She serves as managing editor for her college newspaper (The Defender), is an online student ambassador for St. Mike's, writes a personal style blog (littlecupofj.com) and is an editorial intern at WellWed Magazine. Juliana hopes to move back to Cape Town after graduation, where she spent her spring 2014 semester abroad and work as a magazine editor or as an online/social media coordinator. Her favorites include blogging, all things pink, peonies & proteas, elephants, iced coffee, whistling, running and catch phrases.
Lauren Mazzoleni is a junior at Saint Michael's College where she majors in Digital Arts, Media Studies, and Journalism and minors in Psychology. Lauren and Alexandra Brenock are the two campus correspondents for Saint Michael's HC Branch. At Saint Michael's, she is a student blogger, a tour guide, and a disc jockey at WWPV 88.7 FM. Many of her friends would say that when she is not busy attending her classes or working on HC articles, you could find her watching many of the shows she always DVRs (Glee, Gossip Girl, Pretty Little Liars, etc), shopping on Church Street in downtown Burlington, and hanging out with her friends from Saint Michael's and from her hometown in NH.