Countdown to Christmas – Tips for Ending the Semester Strong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SMCVT chapter.

We’re all excited right now. We have five days off from classes and five days amongst family sounds like heaven on earth. You might be surprised to know that when we get back to campus there will only be two weeks left of classes and three weeks until campus is empty. That’s only three more Mondays! Of course, that means only three weeks to make sure you end the semester strong. 

Week One

You know finals right around the corner and final projects are due. Start planning out your study schedule and work time. The end of the semester means events like acapella concerts, club meetings, and volunteer opportunities. Where do you want go and what do you want to do? Make sure you aren’t over committing yourself!

Because this time of year is especially stressful, make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and eating healthy. Running on caffeine alone won’t help you take in all the information you need for finals and poor eating choices can make you sluggish. Develop good habits now for benefits later.

Looking for something to do during week one? 
Volunteer to help at the Saint Michael’s College Annual Children’s Christmas Party for faculty, staff, and alumni! It happens Saturday, December 1, 2012 from 2:00 – 4:00 PM and you can take a break from the books to hang out with Santa and do arts and crafts.

Week Two

It’s time to turn in your papers and present your findings. Now is the time to visit the Writing Center and get a second set of eyes on your work. Staring at something to long makes us unobjective. Step away from the computer, print out the paper, and hand it off to a peer who will notice that you forgot to use a comma. Don’t want to use the Writing Center? Consider piecing together a study group with people from the class. Here is a great opportunity to talk to cute guy or gal who sits in front of you!

If you are starting to feel run down from all your studying and holiday festivities, avoid over doing it on the caffeine. Use exercise to keep you going even it means a walk around the library. Consider investing in some Vitamin C in the form of Emergen-C or Airborne. You can mix it with water on the go and stay healthy!

Looking for something to do during week two?
On Friday Dec. 7, there is an Art Walk in downtown Burlington from 5 pm to 8 pm. There are guided tours starting at 6 pm from the BCA Center or you can pick up a map to guide yourself through music, art openings, and special activities!
If art isn’t your thing, check out the live reindeer down on Church St. On Dec. 8, Prancer will be hanging out in front of HomeGoods from 11 am until 4 pm.

Week Three

Keep calm! You’ve been organized, getting sleep and staying healthy! Now, study hard, organize a Secret Santa exchange with your friends, bake cookies, and remember that it will be over soon. All you can do is put your best foot forward.

Looking for something to do during week three?
Study, take your exams, and then go home! Enjoy a month of homework-free bliss!

Alex is a junior at Saint Michel's College and is pursuing a degree in business administration. Alex is from Massachusetts but loves beautiful Vermont (minus the freezing cold, snowy winters)! She loves being involved on campus - besides running the Saint Mike's Branch of Her Campus, she is a tour guide and blogger for her college and a mentor to a second-grader. Alex plans on studying-abroad in Ireland and would love to move to Boston or New York City after graduation. She is uber passionate about social media and marketing and hopes to attend business school in the future. In her free time, Alex enjoys baking, taking naps, going to the movies with friends, and telling jokes about pirates.