Vox President, Emily Rooke-Ley

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

Sophomore, Emily Rooke-Ley came to Skidmore with an understanding of the importance of educating women about their reproductive health and rights. Having been involved with Planned Parenthood for five plus years, she found a need for greater activism and awareness on campus and started Skidmore’s chapter of Vox, a national program organized by Planned Parenthood that sends the message of sexual health and reproductive rights to college campuses. Her Campus sat down with Emily to learn about Skidmore Vox and how the organization helps keep the student body informed and educated on what constitutes a healthy sex life, and how our rights are being advocated in the current political sphere.

HC: What is Vox exactly?
ERL: Vox, the Latin word for voices, is a national program through the Planned Parenthood Federation of America. Through Vox, college students across the country organize events on campus. Our goals include raising public awareness about reproductive health and rights, educating young people at concerts about sexual health, working with and supporting their local Planned Parenthood health centers, and mobilizing advocates of reproductive rights.

HC: What kind of events does Skidmore Vox hold to convey its message?
ERL: Free Condom Fridays are held once a month to raise awareness about sexual health, STI testing and treatment, and we explain the services available to Skidmore men and women at Planned Parenthood Mohawk Hudson or at Skidmore health services. Skidmore Vox has a Facebook page where members post information about legislation, events or educational pieces. Throughout the year there are different issues and events that Vox will sponsor or co-sponsor to educate young men and women about their sexual health, services available to them, legislation that will affect what services they can access and more!

HC: What made you want to start a Vox chapter at Skidmore?
ERL: I have been involved with Planned Parenthood for five years, and I understand the connection between advocating and educating for services so that young people are healthy and aware of what rights they have. When I came to Skidmore and realized there wasn’t a Vox group on campus, I felt that I needed to start one because it is such an important club for a college to have.

HC: Why is it important to raise awareness of these issues?
ERL: So many people these days are working to defund Planned Parenthood and limiting access to comprehensive reproductive health care services, including birth control. So not only is safe, legal abortion being threatened on a regular basis, but now bills that would deny women access to birth control are also being introduced, as well. I think it is crucial that students are cognizant of what is happening.

HC: What would you say is the most important message about reproductive rights and sexual health that Skidmore women should know?
ERL: That any and all of the reproductive rights that young people have can be taken away. That includes comprehensive sex education, access to birth control, access to Emergency Contraception (EC), and access to safe, legal abortions. Individuals need to speak out, write letters, engage their fellow peers, and educate their legislators about why it is important that these services stay available.

To see Vox in action, make sure to check out their talk with Kathleen Turner, a golden-globe winner and Chair of the Planned Parenthood Federation of America Board of Advocates. She will be talking about why it’s important to advocate for reproductive healthcare, as well as the 2012 issues and elections followed by a Q&A. Don’t miss it on Monday, Nov. 14 from 3-4 pm on the second floor of DHall.

To learn more about Vox check out their program’s page on Planned Parenthood’s website. And make sure to stop by Free Condom Fridays every second Friday of the month in the Atrium!

Audrey is a class of 2013 English major at Skidmore College. She has held several communications internships in her hometown of Nashville, TN, including ones at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, the Tennessee Center for Policy Research, Nissan's North American Headquarters, and at Katcher Vaughn and Bailey Public Relations. In her free time, she loves to bake for family and friends, exercise by swimming, and loves all things Parisian. Audrey can't wait to continue her journalism experience with Her Campus as a campus correspondent. Having lived in Nashville, France and New York, Audrey has found a love for travel, and hopes to discover a new city after Skidmore where she plans to continue onto law school.