you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Steps to a Stress-Free Internship Hunt

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Skidmore chapter.

The summer internship hunt can be a complete nightmare. Year after year, collegiettes have to pull countless resumes, cover letters and contacts together to try and find a fulfilling—and, fingers crossed, maybe even paid—opportunity. To help simplify the process, we’ve put together a guide for staying focused, organized, and as stress-free as possible while finding a kick-butt internship.

1. Perfect the essentials

Instead of reinventing the wheel each time for each application, create together a solid resume and set of cover letters that cover all your bases. Include everything you might use in a giant template resume that can be tailored for specific jobs, and create a few different cover letters that work for different types of internships to which you may apply. Saving all variations and regularly updating your materials ensures that your materials are always ready to go at a moment’s notice, like when your dream internship materializes (with a fast-approaching deadline).

2. Start with networking

Existing contacts are a great place to start, so always make sure to cover your bases. This includes getting in touch with past employers, utilizing career services resources, and even using your parents’ connections. The first point of contact is often the hardest, and these shortcuts can be a huge help. Afraid to reach out? Remind yourself that people are always happy to help, or even just to share advice. Don’t dive in by asking for a position; instead, let your contact know you’re interested in working in [insert field here] and would love their thoughts on breaking into the industry.

3. Use online job search sites

Forums like Monster, Ed 2010, The Muse, and Her Campus Careerette all have tons of great listings for internships in all fields and cities. Take advantage of them to find out about opportunities you may have never realized existed. Plus, the application process on these websites is often very streamlined. Check them out once a day to stay up-to-date on the positions up for grabs!

[pagebreak]

4. Get in touch

That being said about the wonders of internship sites, avoid the black hole of the Internet. It’s hard to know whether resumes are actually being sent to these online forums or they’re just being lost in a sea of online space. Be careful about generic online applications, and when possible, always find an email address or phone number to make direct contact with employers. Follow-up emails are also a good practice to make sure your application gets at least a once-over. Plus, if you manage to land an interview, make sure to send a thank-you note or email the next day. Mention things you learned that made you especially interested in the internship (and how you would like to use your skills to tackle the challenges of the position), and encourage them to reach out to you if they have additional questions!

5. Keep track of your apps

Recording each application sent and any responses to it can help keep you on top of your progress. Plus, you’ll keep all your information organized in case you need to send any follow-ups or have questions for the employers.   

Finding an internship isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be miserable. Following these five basic strategies will help the process along and, at the end of the day, make for an awesome summer gig!

Remy Marin

Skidmore '15

Remy is an English major and dance minor at Skidmore College. In addition to being CC, Remy is the VP of Outreach of Skidmore's peer mediation group and apprentice for Mediation Matters in Saratoga Springs.