samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Deal With Internship Rejections

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

It’s that oh so wonderful time of the year when school is winding down and you start getting the same question from professors, classmates, and family members on what seems like an hourly basis: “So, what are you doing this summer?”

While some college students take up camp counselor positions or return to their old high school jobs for the summer, others often apply for internships related to their majors or minors. No matter what field or geographical region you are looking for an intern position in, it can be incredibly difficult to find something that fits all of your requirements.

Pop culture can often give us an unrealistic portrayal of how easy it is to obtain the ultimate dream internship. Chances are that you may not get the perfect position or may not even be accepted for an internship at all. As someone who has been rejected for positions, has had a virtual, unpaid internship, held an intern position abroad, and finally got offered a position with great pay and amazing opportunities this year, I’d like to share what you must remember if you’re rejected from that perfect internship that sounded like it was made for you.

It’s all relative

GIF Source

At the end of the day, you’re never going to know exactly what a company wants, and you may just not be what it’s looking for. Even if you wrote a stellar cover letter and had great references, maybe it just wasn’t a good fit on the company’s end. Also keep in mind just how wide-ranging the applications for an internship may be – many in cities will have applicants from all over the country, and ones in smaller towns can be snatched up quickly.   

Don’t freak out if you’re still young

GIF Source

Most internships are only for incoming college juniors and seniors, and even if the offer doesn’t specify, older students will still be preferred. Do not panic if you’re only going into your first or second year of college and haven’t gotten an internship. Companies understand that you’re still figuring out what you want to do and what appeals to you in a professional environment, and that’s what the first few years of college are all about. Even if you’re working at an ordinary summer job, maybe look into part-time volunteering positions at local places that relate to your career plans somehow. Experiment with the options you have, and figure out what kind of place you’d like to work in someday!

Look for your Plan B

GIF Source

I was bummed when I didn’t get a paid internship the summer before my junior year, but I ended up editing and writing for an online magazine remotely. Nearly a year later, I’m one of the lead editorial interns, help run an amazing team, and have developed more valuable skills than I ever could have at a big company. It’s initially small-seeming opportunities like this that build your resume and get more renowned establishments interested in you!  

Turn to your resources

GIF Source

Becoming friends with the top dogs in your department makes approaching them for internship opportunities a whole lot easier (I suggest invading professors’ office hours with a friend or two in tow). When looking for positions in a big city or your local area is a bust, asking your professors for help can be life-changing. Didn’t get anything for the summer? Email a professor you know well about setting something up for the fall. Departments regularly send out emails when internships either on campus or somewhere nearby pop up, and these can be done for credit, letting you take a class or two less down the road. If you’re planning to study abroad and willing to dedicate the time, look into programs that include internships (I’m still convinced having my London internship on my resume was the reason I got a first-round interview with Time Inc.).

Stay calm and keep cool

GIF Source

The fact that you were rejected does not equate to your self-worth or how strong of an applicant you are. If someone didn’t want to hire you, then you probably wouldn’t want to work for them in the end. Keep your chin up and try not to overthink the reasons behind an internship’s decision. You’re a “beautiful tropical fish” who will end up in a position you deserve and love someday if you put in the work.  

Title Image Source

Kristen Perrone is a Siena College Class of 2018 alumna. She studied English during her time at Siena.