diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Five Organization Tips for the Start of a New Semester!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Siena chapter.

As we enter the first weeks of a new semester, many of us strive to stay organized.  With worrying about new classes, a new routine, and getting back into the swing of things, organization can be difficult.  These quick tips will help you keep organized and keep everything under control!

1. Use an agenda & write everything down

A New Year and new semester is the perfect time to break out a new agenda or planner!  If you made a resolution to get more organized, make your agenda your new best friend.  Keep track of your schedule, homework, and club meetings and prioritize things as you write them down to make sure you won’t forget anything.  It’s also fun to write down your weekend plans or a highlight of the day in your planner, making it a diary too!

2. Keep a “First Week” notebook & folder to get through Syllabus Week

During the first week of classes, it can be hard figuring out what supplies to carry with you.  I recommend using one folder and one notebook for all of your classes the first week.  If you receive any handouts or need to take notes, you’ll be all set!  Then after your first week, you’ll know what supplies you need to get for each class.  This will help keep your backpack light and de-cluttered the first week back.

3. Check Blackboard frequently & review your syllabi before going to class

Before you step into your first class of the semester, make sure that you’ve checked Blackboard for any materials you may need.  A number of professors post course content and the syllabus on Blackboard before class meets, and some expect that you’ve already familiarized yourself with the material.  Also be on the lookout for any assignments due the first week back that may have already been posted on Blackboard or emailed to you.  Stay organized by highlighting important parts of the syllabus and writing down important due dates for each course.

4. Plan your route & give yourself plenty of time to get to class

We may be back for “Spring Semester,” but this time of year the weather is far from spring-like!  Be prepared and plan ahead how you are going to get to class.  If the weather is bad pathways or bridges on campus can be closed, so you may even want to figure out an alternative path as well.  I recommend leaving for class even earlier than you would normally plan on for the first day in case the weather is bad and the sidewalks are slippery.  You want to make sure you get to class early to claim a good seat and make a good first impression. Make sure you give yourself enough time to avoid rushing across an icy campus on the first day. 

5. Carry with you what you’ll need for the day

At the start of a new semester, you have to adjust to a new routine.  This won’t happen overnight, and it may take a week or two to get back into the swing of things.  I recommend keeping with you everything you will need to get through the school day, in case you don’t have time to grab books from your dorm or get lunch from the dining hall.  In addition to textbooks and school supplies, keep water and some healthy snacks in your bag.  You don’t want to be stressed running to get a book in time and you don’t want to starve through your first week of classes because you didn’t eat lunch.  By making sure that you have everything you need to get through your classes and lunch, you will be organized and less stressed during the first week back!

These tips will hopefully help make the start of your new semester a little easier, more organized, and less stressful.  Write everything down, avoid clutter early on, familiarize yourself with your courses beforehand, give yourself plenty of time to get places, and keep with you things you need to successfully get through the day!  Good luck Saints, here’s to a successful – and organized! – new semester!

Emily Roehl is a Siena College Class of 2017 alumna. During her time at Siena, she studied Accounting with minors in Computer Science and Information Systems.