Winter Holiday Countdown: Vancouver Events to Keep an Eye Out For

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFU chapter.

The final countdown to the end of exams is nearing. Winter holiday is right around the corner and before you know it, the moment when you hand in your last final exam or paper will arrive. Yes. It’s going to be an amazing feeling that makes the endless nights of stuying all worth it. This is the moment you will finally taste freedom, a vaguely unfamiliar feeling once again.

However, if you can easily predict the confusion of maneuvering through life with all this free time, then fear no more.

What does the winter season mean to you? If Christmas holidays entails spending copious amount of time strolling through ornamental, bright lights, indulging in arts and crafts, or trying a new winter sport, then be sure to keep an eye out for these winter holiday functions happening near you.

Her Campus SFU and U-Vic has got you covered with the guide to winter holiday this year. Here’s to making your 3 weeks-or-so weeks count in either Vancouver or Victoria!

Bright Lights at Stanley Park

Bright lights decorated across acres of dark forest and miniature Christrain train rides – what could be a better way to get into the Christmas mood than that? 

Running until the end of November to early January, Bright Lights is an annual event with a miniature train event, food stands, entertainment and much more. All proceeds will be going toward the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund!

Address: Miniature train track at Stanley Park Vancouver BC V6G 1Z4 

St. Paul’s Hospital Lights of Hope

Mark November 24th off on your calendars to join St. Paul’s Hospital for a community celebration including fireworks, foodtrucks, choirs and a dazzling lights display. The annual Lights of Hope display took 6 weeks, with over 150 volunteers to complete! Whether you are donating pyjamas for patients, or just want a fun-filled night surrounded by good music, food and refreshments, don’t be shy to drop by this winter holiday event to give more than you receive this year.

Address: 1081 Burrard St, Vancouver, BC V6Z 1Y6

Want to try a new winter sport?

Robson Square Ice Skating

This winter classic tradition allows you to bring your friends, family and loved ones to ice-skate in the heart of downtown Vancouver. Whether you’re new to skating or not, Robson Square is a great place during the holidays.

For more information, go here.

Whistler Mountain

One of the most iconic locations to hit the slopes near Vancouver, Whistler is located in the spectacular Coast Mountains of British Columbia. Here, you can find epic skiing and snowboarding, great nightlife in the village and delicious food for your liking. Passes include Winter Lift Tickets, Season Passes, Edge Cards and Gold Cards available for the type of skiing and/or snowboarding you’re interested in! After a day out on the slopes, be sure to relax with a beer in the village.

Winter Hiking

Just because temperature has dropped doesn’t mean that we need to wait till spring to bring out our hiking gear again. With sturdy snowboots and/or hiking boots, an insulated water-proof jacket and the right hiking gear, hiking this winter holiday can still be included in your holiday plans!

According to Inside Vancouver, “the North Shore mountains, just across the Lions Gate Bridge from downtown, offer an outdoor playground during the winter months – and not just for skiers”. The trails on Cypress, Grouse and Seymour Mountains are all extremely well-maintained to give both hikers and snowshoers a good winter work out outside of the gym! 

Are arts and crafts, shopping and indulge in all kind of tasty treats and gifts your forte?

Vancouver Christmas Market

From November 26 to December 31, 2016, 7th Annual Vancouver Christmas Market will be opened, creating a perfect atmosphere to mix and mingle with family and friends. This year, the authentic German-inspired Christmas market will be relocating to Jack Poole Plaza. This will be your prime location to snack and shop to your hearts content! Schnitzels, here we come!

Address: 1055 Canada Place (site of the Olympic Cauldron)

NYE Vancouver

Looking for a place to countdown? NYE Vancouver has got you covered. Ring in the new year with New Year’s Eve Vancouver, a free, all-ages celebration in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The event is located near Canada Place and includes live music, fireworks and a midnight countdown to end your year off with a bang!

Address:  999 Canada Pl, Vancouver, BC V6C 3T4

Image Source 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8

Terri is currently a fourth-year Communication major at Simon Fraser University and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus SFU. Hailing from Hong Kong and raised in Vancouver, she has grown to love the outdoors and mountains of BC. Her favourite pastimes are reading historical fiction, hiking, lying on the beach drinking mojitos and attempting to snowboard. You can get to know her more on Instagram and Twitter at @terriling.