This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SFA chapter.

Growing up going to a semi-strict Christian school I never got to dye my hair fun colors. So, once I graduated high school, the first thing I wanted to do was dye my hair a bright color.  I decided to dye it rose gold. The color was subtle, but also added a bit of a louder look to my ensemble – and I was in love. After dying my hair a few different times and realizing how hard bleached hair is to care for in college, I dyed my hair back to a dark brown color. The darker color didn’t stop me however, as I am still dying my now darker locks. When I dye my hair, I get asked why I do it often.  So, here’s why.

Photo by: Brenna Byington

1. It is a way to express myself. When I have dyed hair, I feel like it describes who I am as a person, no matter the color.

2. Box dye isn’t expensive. The hair dye that I typically use (Colorista by L’Oréal) is between 9 to 10 dollars, and the dye typically stays for a few weeks, with the proper care of course.

3. Hair won’t last forever. If you are worried about your hair never returning to your original color, fret not, for in around a year or two the original color will be grown out again. Growing out your hair is typically a chore, but it isn’t impossible.

4. It helps define your look. If you wear strictly leggings and baggy shirts like me, then having dyed hair is a great way to make it look like you are more put together than you actually are.

5. It’s fun! Dying your hair is a way to be creative and just enjoy yourself. Hair dying is an experience that should bring you joy and make you happy, which it does for many people.

Those are my 5 reasons why I love to dye my hair, and why I will continue to dye my hair for a long time. So, go out there with your pink, blue, yellows, and greens – and every color in-between – and just have fun with it. It was hair guru Hayley Williams who said, “Changing your hair is like a good reset—whether that’s a new color, haircut, or style.” Don’t be afraid to change it up every once in a while, and don’t let it hold you back.

Just a 20-years-old Animal and Ghost Enthusiast. Stephen F. Austin Her Campus editor and Co-CC.
Brianna is a Psychology major with a minor in Human Development and Family Studies here at SFA. She is passionate about people and that's how she landed a spot as CC for Her Campus' chapter at SFA! She enjoys hanging out with her cats, getting tattoos, and doing research. Her passion is to help the LGBTQ+ community by focusing on LGBTQ+ health and therapy in the future.