Campus Celebrity – Craig Witmer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seton Hall chapter.

Name: Craig Witmer

Year: Junior

Major: Diplomacy

Hometown: Boston, New York

Organizations: International Fraternity Council (IFC), Alpha Sigma Phi (ASP), Undergraduate Diplomacy Student Organization (UDSA)

Meet our newest Campus Celeb, Craig Witmer, and hear what he has to say about Greek Life!

As Greek Week comes to an end tonight at Relay for Life, we all anxiously await to see what team will take home the trophy. Among those waiting is former International Fraternity Council President, Craig Witmer.

Here at Seton Hall nearly one-fifth of the student population is involved in Greek Life. This community is not what you might think of when you first imagine the stereotypical sororities and fraternities at larger state schools. SHU is a small Catholic school, and made up mostly of commuters too. The catholic mission paired with the cramped space doesn’t bode well for a vibrant and active Greek community. Nonetheless, Sororities and Fraternities here at Seton Hall have managed to break the odds and become something special.

“Greek life has given me the best friends I’ve ever had, and that gives me the confidence to do things in college. It’s affected me in so many positive ways it’s hard to single one out, stuff like friends, family, alumni, networking, professional development.”

As IFC President, Craig has tried to make these positives about Greek Life as well-known as possible. During his time in office, the fraternities on campus survived a year without any major incidents. “Having the first year with no administrational problems with a fraternity for hazing or drunken behavior was pretty great. We were able to curtail that really well and I give credit to all the IFC Presidents. We worked really hard to make sure this year was different.” Craig found this to be his favorite accomplishment and hopes that this can become the new normal here on SHU’s campus.

At Seton Hall we have an unbelievable opportunity to show off what a fantastic community the Greek one is, and how it holds so much influence for positive change on campus.

“I think that Seton Hall Greek Life has this awesome flavor to it, this awesome culture where you have national organizations that meld into something so different because of the campus we have and it’s so specific, everyone knows everyone. It’s a big family almost and that’s something that allows us to be so amazing and influential” said Craig.

By taking advantage of all Seton Hall has to offer, students can succeed in whatever it is that they want to. Whether you’re in Greek Life or not, you’ve more than likely had a run-in with Craig Witmer and he attributes this to his involvement with his fraternity.

“I can walk into the library, walk into the cafeteria, go anywhere on campus and I will know someone in letters. Having something like Greek life is invaluable, I mean you can’t really quantify that.”

While striving to become a high maintenance magazine girl, Rachel in the mean time, is a Senior Diplomacy major at Seton Hall. Obsessions include: her dog, airplanes, horoscopes (Cosmo astrologers are n e v e r wrong), and her sorority. When asked where she plans to be in 10 years Rachel responded "In 10 years I hope I'm either a very successful NYC woman or on vacation...either will do really."