First Hill Streetcar Finally Ready for Riding

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Seattle U chapter.

The First Hill Streetcar is finally ready! And it’s free riding for the next few weeks! The project began back in April of 2012 when former mayor, Mike McGinn was in office. At the groundbreaking ceremony a little more than 3 years ago it was declared that the streetcar would be operational by 2014 but over a year later, the first streetcar is available for Seattle residents.

The First Hill Streetcar runs 2.5 miles between Pioneer Square, the International District, First Hill, and Capitol Hill. It is the first streetcar presence on Broadway in 75 years. So far, the route does not extend far down East Broadway but the construction and planning will continue so that by 2017, service will be available past Cal Anderson Park to Broadway and Harrison as well as Broadway and Roy.

The closest stop to our campus is Marion St. Plaza, across the street from the main entrance of Swedish Medical Center. To get the most use of this new addition to our community, try starting from downtown around Pioneer Square and work your way up through Chinatown back to campus. You can hop off at the Chinatown station and check out the Wing Luke Museum to explore their popular exhibition entitled, Do You Know Bruce? Breaking Barriers. The exhibit theme is film and its impact in media. Through videos, photographs, collectibles from some of his most famous projects, and personal letters, Do You Know Bruce? explores Bruce Lee’s career and the significance of his presence in the film industry in the context of racial issues. Or, ride it out to Broadway and E Denny to end up just a few blocks from Dick’s Drive-In and Crossroads Trading Co.

Enjoy exploring our home in this new way and stay tuned for updates from Her Campus about the evolution of the streetcar project!

For more info on the streetcar visit the website

Schedules:

Maddie is a junior at Seattle U, studying psychology and biology. She is an ever-growing social justice warrior, cat-lover, thrift shopper, avid hiker, and amateur cook.
I'm Skyler. I go to Seattle University in hopes of earning a degree in Creative Writing. I love to discuss and write about LGBTQ politics, fashion, and I spend way too much time scrolling through Tumblr.