9 Tips on How to Avoid Getting Sick This Quarter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCU chapter.

Getting sick on the quarter system is the last thing anyone wants to do. Maybe sick days or days off were exciting and refreshing in high school but with such little time in a quarter, every single day is crucial. Here are nine tips to hopefully ensure that you make it to every class and avoid ending up in Cowell this quarter.

1. Sanitize and Wash your Hands Regularly

This one might seem obvious but it is incredibly important. College campuses are filled with germs. It’s easy for illnesses to spread when a bunch of people are living in close quarters, eating in the same dining hall, and attending classes together. There is hand sanitizer available all around SCU so take advantage of it and be sure to wash your hands often. Also be sure to sanitize your electronics, like phone screens and computer keyboards, as these can harbor a lot of germs.

1. Drink Emergen-C

It might not taste great, but Emergen-C is loaded with vitamins that can truly make a difference in your health. It’s most effective if you take it as soon as you feel a cold coming on because it has been known to stop an illness in its tracks. However, if you happen to be someone who can never quite sense an illness until it hits you like a truck, you can still drink it! No need for an everyday dosage, but pay attention to your surroundings. If you notice a lot of people in your classes or on your floor are sick, drink up. And especially if your roommate gets sick, head to the cellar as soon as possible and pick up some Emergen-C!

1. Take Vitamins

In college, you are so busy that simple things like taking vitamins can seem like a daunting task. But doing so everyday can really help you prevent getting sick because vitamins help strengthen your immune system. Whether you prefer pills or gummy-vitamins (yes, they do make those for adults and yes, they are delicious), be sure to take some daily.

1. Drink Water

It seems like drinking water is suggested as a remedy for nearly everything these days. While it may not heal your awful cold or stop a virus on its own, drinking water is still incredibly important for your health. Drinking a lot of water can help your immune system and make you feel better all around in your daily life. If you often feel groggy or get headaches, try drinking more water than you typically drink. It just might be your simple solution!

1. Get Sleep

Wayyy easier said than done, especially at a school like SCU where everyone works hard and plays harder. But it is still important! Everyone will have those occasional nights where they get little to no sleep (it’s college, it happens) but try not to make a habit of it. A lack of sleep can mess up your immune system and can make getting sick that much easier. So do your best to make sure you get a reasonable amount of shuteye (at least most of the time).

1. Eat Healthy

Again, this one is about protecting your immune system. The healthier you eat, the better off your body will feel. You are also less likely to catch an illness that your immune system can’t quickly squash. No one is saying that you didn’t earn that pint of Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked after a long night of homework, but you maybe don’t eat it for every meal.

1. Don’t Share Drinks

Whether it is taking a few sips of your roommate’s coffee in the morning or sharing a chaser with friends at a party, it’s probably not a good idea. Sharing drinks is one of the easiest ways to spread germs and this could very easily get you sick. Make sure you always have your own cup to try to keep yourself out of harm’s way.

1. Wear Shower Shoes

This one is probably pretty obvious, but some people choose to forego it. Showers are where we get clean but that doesn’t mean they don’t contain germs, especially in traditional style dorms where everyone has access to the same shower. You might not catch a cold from going barefoot, but shower shoes create a nice boundary between your feet and the horrors of a college bathroom.

1. Wash Your Towels and Sheets Often

Anything that you are constantly using should be washed regularly. Laundry is a pain but it can help make your room a place that is not going to get you sick. Plus, who doesn’t love warm towels when you’re fresh out of the shower or cozy clean sheets to lie in at night after a long day???

SaveSave

Jordan is a sophomore at Santa Clara and a writer for Her Campus SCU. She is an English major and a Political Science minor. She loves her cat and two dogs very much. Go Broncos.
Laurel Fisher is a senior at Santa Clara University. She is double majoring in math and French. She loves traveling, scrapbooking, and anything to do with France. In her free time, she loves taking photos of just about anything, watching Netflix, eating delicious food, going to the gym, and spending time with her friends.