Make It Work: Advice from Project Runway Star Merline Labissiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at SCAD chapter.

Make it work. The most nerve-wracking, ten letter phrase everyone learns to hate. Whether you’re hearing this from a professor, a colleague, or in this lucky SCAD Alum’s case, Tim Gunn. This week’s campus celebrity is current Project Runway contestant, and one of my dear friends Merline Labissiere.

Before I head into my highly-entertaining get-together with Merline, I would like to remind everyone that Her Campus SCAD featured Merline’s fashion show for her line PROVOK on our page TWO YEARS AGO! Who knew two years later, Merline would be a contestant on one of our favorite Thursday night shows? The answer is everyone that has ever met her.

I was fortunate enough to sit down with Merline this past weekend, and discuss pretty much everything you want to know about Project Runway, her journey to the show, and what the future holds for Merline, and her brand.

Just to give everyone a bit of background of how hectic Merline’s life has been post Project Runway….Last week, she was invited to the VIP grand opening of SCAD Fash (the first fashion museum in the South). While attending the grand opening, she got to hang out with some of fashion’s greatests, as well as her fellow project runway contestant Edmond Newton. She even wore one of his gowns to the opening (shown above.) Less than 24 hours later, Merline hosted a seminar for SCAD Savannah students to learn all about her journey as a designer, what they need to be doing to prepare for the future, and simply inspiring them to follow their dreams.

Trying out for Project Runway wasn’t an easy task for Merline. She auditioned back in 2007, and was told she needed more experience/technical fashion skills to be on the show. This inspired her to come to SCAD, and learn everything about fashion design. After graduating, she decided to audition again, and received another no. At this point, she was devastated. All of the hard work/money she put into her fashion degree at SCAD, and to still be getting a no? The main reasoning behind this answer had nothing to do with her talent, but more about not having a clear customer. So Merline took a year off from her business to rebrand herself, and make sure it was clear to everyone who her customer was. Finally, she set off to audition a third time, and got a callback, then another, and another. She then received a phone call she was shocked to get….that she made it to Project Runway’s top 16. Her journey has been crazy thus far. She won the Heidi Klum Intimates challenge, which gave her the chance to have one of her designs mass-produced (which you can purchase here) Currently, Merline has made it to the top 6, and all of us here at Her Campus SCAD are hoping for a win!!!

One thing I have always admired most about Merline is her dedication to community service. She has a non-profit that involves teaching fashion to students in inner-city schools in the city of Savannah (which we will be talking more about in the future on Her Campus SCAD). Though she has not seen her students since appearing on Project Runway, she does not expect anything to change. She loves seeing the smile on her student’s faces when presenting their work in gallery openings, and when they learn new skills.

Right now, Merline is meeting with manufacturers, and investors to start her new line. She is also looking for a retail space in Savannah to open her first store. Who knows, we may even see one very soon from now…..but I’m not giving anything away just yet (but I promise Her Campus SCAD will be one of the first to let you know).

I want to thank Merline for taking time out of her apparent busy schedule, to meet with me, and give Her Campus SCAD the inside scoop.  

I also want to give a HUGE shout out to Katie Frezza for capturing this amazing afternoon. You probably can’t even tell, but it was pouring during the interview, and Katie was able to get so many amazing shots! To check out more of Katie’s work, click here

To stay updated with all things Merline visit her website, and follow her on social media. 

Hello! My name is Angela Kastrunes. I am a senior Fashion Marketing and Management student at SCAD. I am the founder/CC for Her Campus-SCAD. Our chapter has grown so much over the past 3 years. I'm excited to say we have expanded to the Atlanta campus, and now have over 20 members combined. It's very bittersweet to realize this is my last year, working as a CC for HC. After graduation I hope to either work in social media management, PR for a fashion brand/music label, or as an editor of a fashion magazine (or Her Campus Nationals).