This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

It is that time of year again. The time when, your classmates begin sneezing and coughing, or when people start sniffig incessantly during a test. This can be quite annoying, but it’s even more annoying, if you are the one caught with a cold or a flu. Since the fall and winter season brings about pesky viruses, it would be helpful to familarize yourself with some tips, on how to ward off the common cold or flu.

The first tip may be the most obvious one you’ve been hearing since Kindergarten, but that is beacause it is really important: wash your hands! This is the best way to ensure that you get rid of germs that may have latched onto you. Doctors reccomend that you use soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds. And if your in a hurry, hand sanitizer can be a goood compomise. Most hand sanitizers can kill 99.9% of germs, and come in a wide array of scents. My favorite is the ‘Carribean Escape’ hand sanitizer from Bath and Body Works. I love Bath and Body Works in general, but I think their specialty is having cheap sanitizer. Wash your hands or put sanitier on before you eat, and avoid touching your face and eyes.You don’t have to become a germaphobe, but it is beneficial to have good hygiene.

Another good way to help fight off seasonal viruses is to eat plenty of vitamen c. This common vitamin is a powerful antioxident and helps boost your immune system. Vitamin C can be found vegetables and fruits, such as oranges, bell peppers, and pineapple. So if you feel like your starting to get a stuffy nose or a sore throat than increase your vitamin c intake. Drink orange juice, (Natural Sensations in the student center has fresh squeezed oj), or sautee some bell peppers with your dinner. Any way you choose, there are various ways to make sure you get a good amount of vitamins. 

And lastly, the most effective way to prevent sicknesses like the flu, is to get a flu shot. Even though, a flu shot doesn’t prevent a cold, it will protect you from various strians of the flu. And if your afraid of getting a shot, don’t be. It only lasts one second and your arm is only sore for a day afterward. However, if you do happen to be allergic to eggs you cannot recieve the shot, since eggs are a main ingridient in the shot. Here at SF State the Student Health Services provides basic immunizations for viruses such as the flu. The Health Services Building is located bewteen Burk Hall and the Psychology Department, and is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:10am-4:45pm and on Wednesday from 10:00am-4:45pm. 

And if you do happen to catch a cold or flu, take care of yourself. Get a lot of sleep, drink a lot of liquids, or consider an over the counter cold pill or antihistamine such as ‘allegra’. Also, steaming hot showers or sitting in a sauna can help clear up sinuses. Tea with honey and lemon can help soothe a sore throat, and the classic chicken noodle soup is always a comfort. However, if you do have a fever, it is best to stay home and lie back on the couch and watch Netfix’ we really don’t want to catch your sickness! Hence, with these tips, hopefully you’ll have bettter luck fighting colds and flu. Myself, I wish I had listened to my own advice better, since now I’m that one annoying kid sniffling every five seconds during a mid-term.  

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.