Frugal Fashionista: 5 Simple DIY Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Halloween can be stressful for us college students. We want the perfect costume for our Halloween partying. It’s extremely difficult to find a costume that not only looks good but is also affordable. I recently went to a costume store and could not believe what I saw, $40 for a costume?! For one night?! Um, no. I could buy some really good food for a week’s lunch with that money. Instead of breaking the bank for something you’ll most likely wear once, try making use of the clothes already in your closet. Here are five easy DIY Halloween costumes.

1. Katniss Everdeen

What you’ll need: A black shirt, black boots and an olive colored pair of pants.

A pair of khaki pants could also work for this outfit. Wear your hair in a side braid.

Remember to buy a fake bow and arrow set to complete the look!

Optional: Black windbreaker jacket

Katniss Photo via Small Screen Scoop

2. Cleopatra

What You’ll Need: A white dress (preferably a maxi dress) and tons of gold accessories. Gladiator sandals.

Wear a necklace, bangles and dangling earrings. For makeup take a look at this tutorial.

Don’t have a white dress? Try making a toga! You can make one out of a bed sheet by following this tutorial.

Cleopatra Photo via Pintrest

3. Holly Golightly from “Breakfast at Tiffany’s”

What You’ll Need: A black dress, pair of black pumps, tiara and pearl acessories.

Make sure you put your hair in a sort of beehive style by following this tutorial.

If you don’t already have a pearl necklace or earrings, you can buy them at a Halloween store. They usually cost less than $10.

Audrey Hepburn Photo via Bejus-Celebs

4. Hermione Granger from Harry Potter

What You’ll Need: Black or grey skirt, grey cardigan and a white collared shirt.

You can buy a Hary Potter scarf or tie at most Halloween Stores. You can also try finding a similar one at thrift stores.

Photo via GALLERY.EWVA

5. Sandy from “Grease”

What You’ll Need: A black crop top, black pants and a pair of red pumps.

Make sure to curl your hair and wear gold hooped earrings.

Grease Photo via Casa

Which costumes do you think you’ll try?

Catherine Uy

San Francisco

Catherine Uy is a freelance journalist and blogger. She currently interns for CollegeFashionista . When she’s not busy writing or blogging, you can find her shopping at thrift stores, taking street style photographs, or reading the latest issue of Nylon Magazine.You can follow her on Twitter.