Be Your Own Barista: Fun Winter Drinks You Can Make Yourself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

When it starts to get chilly, there’s nothing like have a cozy and warm latte or mocha. The holiday season is coming and that means the Starbucks Gingerbread Latte, Peppermint Moch, and Caramel Brulee Lattle will be coming back. Every season, I always spend a big chunk of my money on treating myself to a yummy, holiday treat. So I came to the realization that I should try to save my Starbucks money on things like Christmas shopping, and make my own homemade coffee drinks. Here are my favorite recipes, that are quick and easy to make!

1)  Gingerbread Latte:

You will need: 2 Cups water, 2 1/2 teaspoons ground sugar, 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/2 cup espresso, 8 ounces of steamed milk, ground nutmeg, and whipped cream.

First make the gingerbread syrup by combining the water, sugar, giner, cinnamon, and vanilla into a medium saucepan. Make sure the mixture does not bubble over. Bring the ingrediants to a boil, then reduce the heat and let simmer for 15 minutes (uncovered). Remove the syrup from the stove when it is done and cover it, letting it sit. Brew a double shot of espresso, if you have a milk steamer, then steam 8 ounces of milk, and if you don’t have a steamer, you can simply heat up the milk in the microwave to your taste. Mix the latte by adding the 1/2 cup of espresso to a coffee mug, and add 1/4 cup of the gingerbread syrup, and the steamed milk, then stir. Top it off with some sprinkled nutmeg and whip cream, and a tiney gingerbread cookie.

2) Peppermint Mocha:

You will need: 3 tablespoons of powdered baking cocoa, 4 ounces of espresso, 1 1/2 peppermint syrup, 12 ounces steamed milk, 3 tablespoons of warm water, red sugar crystals (optional), and whipped cream.

Combine 3 tablespoons of the baking cocoa (Ghiradelli cocoa is the best), with 3 tablespoons of warm water and stir until you get a syrup consistancy and pour into a coffe mug og your choice. Add the espresso and the peppermint syrup, and the steamed milk. Garnish with whipped cream and the sugar crystals for taste and decoration.

3) Salted Caramel Latte:

You will need: 1 cup of coffee, (or you can use chai tea), 1 tablespoon coconut oil, 1 teaspoon granualted salted butter, salt, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon of honey or carmel syrup, and a sprinkle of salt.

Brew coffee to your favored strength, add all of the ingridients into a blender, and blend on high for 15 seconds. Add extra honey or carmel syrup if desired, and a sprinkle of salt.

4) White Hot Chocolate:

You will need: 3 cups half and half milk, 2/3 cup of white chocolate chips, 1 cinnamon stick, 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, candy canes, and whipped cream.

In a medium saucepan combine 1/4 cup half and half milk with the white chocolate chips, cinnamon stick and nutmeg. Whisk over a fairly low heat until the white chocolate chips are melted. Remove the cinnamon stick when the chips are melted. Add the leftover half and half milk, and whisk on the same low heat level. Remove from heat and add the vanilla extract. Add the whipped cream garnish and candy cane if desired. Enjoy! 

I'm a Sophomore at San Francisco State University majoring in Journalism. I went to San Marin High in Marin County, Novato, and was attracted to Journalism there too. I wrote for the school newspaper, 'The Pony Express' for two years and also enjoy reading, and shopping.