Another Step Into Adulthood

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at San Francisco chapter.

Although this will be my second year of college and living away from home, next semester is shaping up to be a big leap in my life.

I am going to be living in an apartment with two other friends, away from home, and out of the dorms. Last year I lived in the dorms, specifically Mary Ward. Even though I was not living with my parents, it still did not really feel like I was really independent. It was more like I was going to summer camp, and I did not have as many responsibilities as I soon will in our new apartment.

In Mary Ward, my one other roommate and I shared a closet sized room. The only space I occupied was a small desk, a narrow closet, and my bed. These were the only spaces I had to keep tidy, so cleaning was never much of a chore.

I never had to clean the bathroom either, because we used a large shared bathroom just down the hall. Toilet paper and hand soap was always supplied for us and I never had to clean the shower.

When it came to food, we ate what the school provided us with. All I had to do was walk into City Eats and pick up a plate of whatever they were serving that day. Literally no work on my end. My meal plan was the Five-Day one, so I did have to feed myself on the weekends and even that proved to be challenging. I spent way too much money on eating out and ate a lot of unhealthy food. Or only ate snacks all weekend, excitedly awaiting Monday so that I could use my meal plan once again. I’m glad I got the experience of living in the dorms because it was like taking a baby step into the adult world where I will be completely in charge of myself.

As you can see, a lot of the responsibilities of moving away from home were in the hands of my school so I never had to worry about them. But that’s all about to change.

There are a lot of new things I will have to figure out when I move into this apartment.

For example, the art of grocery shopping. Of course I have been to the grocery store many times but usually with my mother, or I just wanted to pick up a few special things for myself. But I have never had to buy weekly groceries for myself with the goal of cooking meals on my own. I’m sure that the first couple of times I am going to be unsure of what to put in my basket. What are kitchen essentials and what should I be cutting out of my diet?

Mostly I am concerned about my food budget. I don’t want to buy to much and never be able to go out, but I also don’t want to be hungry during the day. Cooking the food is a whole other dilemma.

Don’t get me wrong, I can make myself some food, but I can’t prepare myself a delicious meal. I like to imagine that I will try to learn some of my favorite recipes, but most likely I will be eating a lot of noodles and cheese quesadillas.

Cleaning hopefully won’t be too much of a burden, I know the basics of keeping an area neat.

However, there are still some things I will have to learn. Like how often do you replace kitchen sponges and how to you clean a stove (you know, that part under the burner that can get really gross really fast).

In some ways, things are going to be easier in the apartment. I won’t have to find my keys every time I want to go to the bathroom, and I will have a designated sink for washing dirty dishes! The luxury! Anyway, I’m sure there are going to be more surprises coming my way that I don’t even realise yet.

All and all, I am excited! Growing up is not the easiest thing, but I am very lucky to be easing into it like this. I strive to one day be a fully grown woman who pays her own rent on time and can cook dinner for a bunch of people, so to get there I have to start here. I will probably make some mistakes on the way, but that it alright. It will be new and exciting.

I am sure many of you are also starting new things and taking on new responsibilities, so I just want you to know that you are going to be great! We are all just figuring things out, so don’t worry and make the most out of it!