This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

“Oh you’re in college? That’s great, where at?”

“I’m at Saint Mary’s.”

Oh. Well why would you go there and not Notre Dame?”

This was an actual conversation I had with a woman a few weeks back. As I bit my tongue and tried not to laugh in her face, I answered with the first thing that came to mind,

“All four of my sisters went there.”

True. But I’ve been kicking myself for saying that ever since. I went to Saint Mary’s because all my sisters did, but it is so much more than that. I loved Saint Mary’s from the first time I visited when I was eight years old. It was the only school I applied to…my high school counselor loved that! I knew that someday I would call it home too. And one of the things that made me so sure of my decision was the friendships my sisters made while here. I only wished to emulate that. Saint Mary’s is a special place, we all know that. But I have been lucky enough for the past twelve years to witness some of the most special friendships that you can only find once you turn down the Avenue.

Because only at Saint Mary’s (and years after graduation)…

Do you sit outside the chapel in LeMans for hours comforting a new friend who just lost her mom.

Do you throw a surprise engagement party in the lounge of Annunciata for your Belle who had the ring by spring.

Do you get to be the first one to know about your friend’s pregnancy before she announces it to everyone at the twelve week mark.

Do you know you have a group of girls to dance on an elevated surface with.

Do you find friends who will drive two hours on a Friday night to come to your relative’s wake. 

Do you buy a french cross charm to tie around your friend’s wedding bouquet.

Do you always have a friend to eat late night Taco Bell with.

Do you all move to Chicago so that college never really has to end.

Do you celebrate special occasions with a Mad Dog circle.

Do you take a ring picture whenever the group is together again.  

Do you plan reunion weekend every year because the thought of waiting for the five,ten, fifteen, marks seems unbearable.

Do you come back to tailgate any Irish home game.

Do you have friends living in ten different states, yet still feel no distance between you.

Do you make the friends you know you will have for life…

So, I want to thank you: Becky, Kiki, LoRo, Mel, Megan, Megan, Mattia, Alice, Nicole, Casey, Angela, Sarah, Bridget, Col, Grace, Caitlin, Emily, Pernots, Megan, Donna, Puffy, Megan, Alexis, Shannon, Milly, Megan, Kelly, Kerry, Karen, Shannon, Abby, Kayla, Katie, Mo, Julia, Meghan, Sarah, Rachel and Christie for being such an important part of my sisters’ lives, and by default mine. You are the people who make Saint Mary’s all that it is and I am so happy to have known you and have you influence my decision to come here.

Once a Belle always a Belle.

Photos provided by Claire

Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's