ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Ways To Manage Stress This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The beginning of a new semester – yay! But now it’s the end of the third week, but the homework load is already stressing you out. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, and it’s time you start managing your stress.

Here are some ways to help relieve the pressure this semester:

1. Get to the gym – Getting at least thirty minutes of activity every day can help your body in multiple ways. As college students, it’s hard to get the recommended 8 hours of sleep every night. Head over the gym to get that extra boost of energy you’ll need for the day.

2. Eat healthy and natural foods – Want to help your memory and focus during class? Eat brain foods! Avocados help improve cognitive function AND they are filled with “good” fat! They are filled with vitamin B and C, and have the highest protein than any other fruit. Also, blueberries make for a great study snack. They’re filled with antioxidants, vitamin C, and fiber. Blueberries are filled with gallic acid, which protect our brains from stress – perfect!

3. Get some fresh air – Even though it’s cold outside, try to walk outside instead of through the tunnel on your way to the dining hall. Take every opportunity you can to step outside when the sun is shining. You won’t believe the difference a few minutes outside can make, even on a cold day!

4. Make a list for the day/week – I love to check items off in my agenda. Every weekend, I make a list for the things I want to get done before Monday morning. Try making a list of the things you want to get done for the day or week. Make your list reasonable and attainable. Focus on one assignment at a time instead of focusing on everything you have to do. You will feel so productive when your list is completed!

5. Turn to your friends for support – It’s important to have a social life, even when you have papers and studying to do. It is crucial to find a balance between school and having fun. Simply just going to dinner with friends makes for a good homework break!

6. Take three deep breaths – taking three deep breaths before you start on an assignment is a really great way to clear your mind and remind yourself you can do this. Focus on taking three breaths. All the things you have to do, will get finished.

We’re all in this together. We’re all stressed at some point during the semester. By knowing how to manage your stress, everything you have to do will seem much more reasonable!

Marin Zumwald

Saint Mary's

I'm a junior at Saint Mary's College from Dayton, OH who loves labradoodle's, reading, and working out. I am studying Social Work and minoring in Psychology. I love to explore Her Campus SMC because it always reminds me how thankful I am to be a Belle, and attend such a prestigious college!
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.