5 Upcoming Events You Need to Know About At Ryerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Toronto MU chapter.

Part of the ‘university experience’ extends far beyond academics, it also includes putting yourself and getting involved. Whether you’re into sports, leadership, or the arts, there’s something at Ryerson for everyone. Here are five upcoming opportunities to help you get started: 

Ryerson Women in Leadership Conference 2017

• ​Date March 03, 2017 – March 04, 2017
  • Time 5:00 PM – 11:00 PM
  • Location Courtyard by Marriott and St. James Cathedral (Snell Hall)
  • Contact Bushra Ali, bamirali@ryerson.ca
  • Website http://www.rwil.ca

“The Ryerson Women in Leadership (RWIL) Conference focuses on connecting, engaging and inspiring delegates. This year’s theme is Voice: How the Power of One’s Past Becomes the Force in Building Their Future. Delegates are able to participate in numerous beneficial workshops, they’re given the opportunity to listen to renowned speakers from various industries, and be selected for Ryerson Women in Leadership’s first case competition.

Through inspiring keynotes, speaker series, and a panel, the Ryerson Women in Leadership Conference aims to benefit delegates hearing the voice of women who broke glass ceilings and are making the stride towards empowering women in the workplace. Through a case competition centred around relevant topics that affect females today, we hope to spark innovation and creativity. This conference will be a celebration of individuality, confidence, intersectionality, and most importantly, your voice.”

Screening Memory Film Series + Debate

“The Centre for Memory and Testimony Studies proposes through the Screening Memory Film Series to discuss and explore the various cinematic memory-scapes, which screen as much as reveal our modes of recollection. Five screenings every Friday of March will present several aspects of memory in cinema to be debated by specialists and the public. Free admission.

The March 3 screening is of:

No Home Movie (BEL/FRA, 2015, 115 min.) by Chantal Akerman Discussant: Marta Marín-Dòmine, Director CMTS, Wilfrid Laurier University Chantal Akerman’s final film is a portrait of her relationship with her mother Natalia, a Holocaust survivor and familiar presence in many of her daughter’s films. For two hours, we will see them eating, chatting and sharing memories. Also, and to show how small the world has become, Chantal remains in contact with her mother at other times of the year via Skype from lands as far away as Belgium, Oklahoma and New York. Akerman, who has died aged 65, apparently after taking her own life, worked extensively, making fiction, documentary, experimental and essay films. She also made video and installation art. The marginal position she sometimes occupied in the film world had much to do with her eclectic practice, which made it hard to assign her a neat “auteur” identity. Nevertheless, from early in her career, Akerman attained a somewhat legendary status among cinephiles as a cinematic radical, a formal innovator and a pioneer of modern feminist cinema. (Romney)”

Ryerson Rams Women’s Volleyball Playoffs

“Join us when the Ryerson Rams women’s volleyball team takes on the Guelph Gryphons in an OUA quarter-final match-up! Ryerson students are in free with a valid OneCard.” 

Innovate with your Kid: Mother Daughter Edition

Date: March 05, 2017
Time: 2:00 PM – 5:00 PM
Location: Sandbox by DMZ (341 Yonge Street – suite 312)
Contact: ramsha.naeem@ryerson.ca
Website: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/innovate-with-your-kid-mother-daughter-edition-tickets-32343358857

“Kids In Tech and Sandbox’s INK (Innovate with your Kid) have partnered for a special mother daughter edition of their coding/make your own app workshop just in time for the week of International Women’s Day.Designed for anyone interested in learning the fundamentals in mobile app prototyping, the one day workshop, led by the talented Malene Charles, will help you navigate around digital design principles and create simple working prototypes from scratch. Along with independent and group exercises, the session will also feature discussions on how mobile app development and design thinking can be connected to subjects currently taught in the classroom. Take a collaborative approach to STEM (science, tech, engineering, math) learning and sign up for this special workshop today!” 

Screening of “Colonization Road”

Date: March 07, 2017
Time: 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Location: IMA-307, 122 Bond Street, School of Image Arts
Contact: jason.ohara@ryerson.ca
Website: https://www.facebook.com/events/660989894092842/permalink/664244673767364/

“Cinema Politica and the Aboriginal Education Council are proud to co-present the screening of “Colonization Road” by Michelle St. John. This event is free and open to everyone. “Colonization Road” unearths the history of the Public Lands Act of 1853 — its impact on First Nations, treaties, land and the expansion of “Canadian” settlement. Anishinaabe comedian and activist Ryan McMahon follows a few roads, one in his own home town of Fort Frances, Ont., where the main drag is still called Colonization Road. Ryan meets up with a number of people along the way, exploring the state of relationships, settlers in solidarity and what it means to “decolonize.” Director Michelle St. John will be in attendance, along with Pamela D. Palmater and Professor Jeff Denis. As well, we’ll have a special performance by spoken word artist Lena Recollet. The event is wheelchair accessible and will have ASL interpretation.” For more information on the film: www.cinemapolitica.org/film/colonization-road.

Hi! This is the contributor account for Her Campus at Ryerson.
Lena Lahalih

Toronto MU

Lena is a fourth year English major at Ryerson University and this year's Editor-in-Chief.   You can follow her on Twitter: @_LENALAHALIH