diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Positive Proverbs: Adversity

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

Sometimes in life when we’re struggling with certain issues and trying to overcome the obstacles that life throws our way, it’s hard to keep a sense of self.  It’s hard to remember who you truly are and what you stand for when you feel like your world is crashing down.  This week’s Positive Proverb comes from the famous Coach Eric Taylor from Friday Night Lights:

“Every man at some point in his life is going to lose a battle.  He is going to fight, and he is going to lose.  But what makes him a man is at the midst of that battle, he does not lose himself” –Eric Taylor.

This dovetails with last week’s proverb in the fact that no matter what, in life, you will always face adversity, and though you may fight hard, there will be some times when you end up losing the battle.  It is those times that shows you what you’re made of, and just how strong you can be.  In those times of loss and adversity, it is important to stick to who you are; and though you might feel lost and feel like you are losing yourself, it is those times when you have to trust yourself the most.  It is that adversity and time of wandering which you both lose and find yourself.  It’s okay to lose a battle once in a while, but don’t let that loss change your beautiful soul.

Image from: http://www.shadesofgrace.org/wp-content/uploads/iStock_000011308601XSmal…

My name is Jenna Filippoli and I am a new writer to HerCampus. I was inspired by one of my best friends who is a writer and has been writing for this magazine for a few years. By writing blogs for HerCampus, I want to reach girls in many different places and help with their daily struggles and empower them.
I am a Writing Arts major at Rowan University. Poetry is my best friend. One day, I hope to be a successful writer for a popular magazine in NYC. My dream is to travel to Paris, London, and Rome to explore and write about my experiences there.