Bringing holiday cheer through service

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

It’s the holiday season! The time for shopping, sales, eating, and most importantly giving is here.  Are you looking for a way to give back to those less fortunate than you? Why not go to a soup kitchen or donate to toys for tots?

There are some great opportunities to give back to your community this holiday season through Rowan.  For example, the Veteran’s Affairs Office and Veteran Student Organization are holding their annual Toys for Tots drive.  If you simply bring a new, unwrapped present to the Veteran’s Affairs Office in Savitz Hall, Room 304, Alumni Relations Office in Shpeen Hall, or mailroom in Chamberlain Student Center you can make the holidays a little brighter for a child this year. 

Another volunteer opportunity is you spend time at a soup kitchen.  This is something easy and fun to do with a club or organization or even with your friends.  Last week the Psychology Alliance went to a soup kitchen In Camden, the Neighborhood Center, and they are still collecting canned goods and non-perishable items.  You can drop off any items you wish to donate to the Psychology Department in Robinson Hall. 

According to Kaylin DeSantos , a sophomore psychology major and member of the Psychology Alliance, the members of the club that went to the soup kitchen just helped prepare the food and cleanup and organize their complex.  She also said, “The experience helped me be grateful for what I have and it was really rewarding to help those people and feel like we were making a difference.” 

Even helping out with the Rowan Relief program, which is aiding those who were severely affected by Hurricane Sandy, is a way to give back during the holiday season.  You could donate clothing to the Rowan Police clothing drive, which will be donated to Hurricane Sandy victims, give money to fraternities, such as TKE and Phi Psi, who are contributing to Hurricane Sandy victims, or even go to different beach communities and help people clean up their homes. 

Whether you can donate your day to helping someone cleanup up their destroyed home or simply donate a few canned goods, every little bit helps.  The best part is that you will feel good about yourself.  Sometimes during the holiday season we can easily get caught up in spending money and splurging on family and friends but it is also important and rewarding to give something to people who do not have as much. 

Julissa is currently a senior at Rowan University located in Glassboro were she is a proud sister of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc. from the INVICIBLE theta chapter. She majors in journalism and has a double concentration in International studies and New Media. Julissa hails from Passaic, NJ, even though she is a New Yorker at heart. She strives to become an amazing bilingual writer. She can admit that she has an obsession with nail polish. Julissa in her spare time enjoys volunteering, reading, rock climbing, and movies. To many individuals she is known to be the three Fs: fun, funky and feisty.