rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Stay Sane this Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rowan chapter.

By: Imani Harris

Believe it or not, September has come and gone, and we are officially rooted into October.  Syllabus week is long gone, and we are all probably prepping for our first tests, essays, and projects. I know it’s hard to get back into the groove of things, and the never ending warm weather definitely isn’t helping. (It’s October and people are literally still wearing shorts and flip flops.)  Though the weather isn’t really matching the calendar, it’s time to face the fact that fall semester is well upon us.  Between classes, activities, jobs, and still trying to have a social life, we all know that familiar feeling of stress that loves knocking at our door.  Here are 5 ways to make sure this semester doesn’t drive you completely mad.

1. Invest in a Planner

If any of you guys are like me, one of your favorite parts of prepping for the semester is buying school supplies.  It’s the little things in life that bring us excitement.  Pens, paper, notebooks, and last but not least, a planner.  This will be your holy grail, and your bible this semester if you use it wisely.  Here, you can outline your life, and put in everything from assignments to meetings and appointments. This will help you stay organized and on track, hopefully preventing you from forgetting homework, tests, and all else important.

2. Stay Ahead

One of the joys of receiving the syllabus the first week is the fact it usually has everything mapped out for the entire semester. A lot of the time, homework and reading assignments are usually outlined in there as well.  Whenever you have free time (I know, its rare), it’s great to get ahead in in some of your classes. Also, using your planner, you can map out when all your work is due and spend some free time working on assignments that will eventually have to be turned in. This way all your work can be done accordingly and you won’t feel stressed if you have a lot due at one time.

3. Get Plenty of Rest

Impossible. I know it’s hard to even take this pointer serious.  Between homework, clubs, jobs, and all else relevant, sleep is sometimes the last thing on our list. Try doing your work doing free time during the day, so you have nothing to do at night. The only way for our brains and bodies to function correctly is to get an adequate amount of sleep.  If that means you have to cut the nightly binge watch to a minimum, then so be it.  Netflix will always be there. Your sanity might not if you’re up until 3 in the morning with an 8 am class lingering in your near future.  

4. Build Friendships/Relationships

Sometimes this might be easier said than done, especially if you’re a commuter like me. Going to class and home can sometimes sound very appealing, but in all reality, feelings of isolation will eventually kick in. Having a support system at school is necessary!  Whether you need a shoulder to cry on, someone to sit with, or share notes with, building friendships at your university will help ease any stress built up throughout the semester. You’re not in this alone!

5. Treat Yourself

Sometimes in the turmoil of college, we sometimes forget that the only way to perform at our fullest potential is to not neglect our actual selves.  Between homework, professors, internships, and other things, it’s easy for one to forget about themselves.  If you need to miss class one day to take a mental health day, I’m all here for it! (But make sure it’s not an important one!)  At the end of each week, treat yourself to something, even if it’s minimal.  Just showing yourself love will help boost your spirits, all necessary in completely killing this semester!

Best of luck to you all!

Rachel is a senior English and Writing Arts double major at Rowan University. She also has minors in Women's & Gender Studies and Creative Writing along with concentrations in Publishing & New Media and Honors. She is the Senior Editor of Avant Literary Magazine as well as being in charge of the Her Campus chapter at her school. Rachel works as both a tour guide and a writing tutor on campus. She is big fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, but not the patriarchy.