World AIDS Day Awareness

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

I just wanted to briefly draw attention to a recent event – December 1st marked World AIDS day, with organizations all over the world urging people to learn the facts about HIV, and show awareness by wearing the red ribbon curl. It’s been 31 years since AIDS was first discovered, but treatment of HIV still has a ways to go. According to the US Department of Health, only 25% of the people in the United States alone infected with HIV have optimal treatment.

More than 90% of people contract HIV through unprotected sex, with many of the infections passed on by those who aren’t aware they have contracted the disease. Oral sex is technically considered safer, but unprotected oral sex can still lead to other sexually transmitted diseases. It has been estimated that approximately a quarter of people living with HIV have not been officially diagnosed. As of now, the most effective way to lower risk of contracting HIV is practicing safe sex.

On a more positive note, the U.S Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have announced that in the years since knowledge of HIV and AIDS was made public, participation in risky sexual or drug behavior has dropped in the past decade (risky being defined as illicit drug use, multiple sex partners, and unprotected sex.) Also, the implementation of the Affordable Care Act means that many people living with HIV will gain health coverage and access to treatment that could extend their lives extensively. Beginning in 2014, people with HIV will no longer be denied health insurance for pre-existing conditions.

World AIDS day is dedicated to spreading knowledge about HIV and disease prevention, but also another day to remember those that are suffering from the disease, and those that have been lost.  

Meghan Liptak is a senior at the University of Rochester. She is majoring in Political Science and has been part of the Her Campus Rochester team as a contributing writer for over a year. Meghan looks forward to taking over as campus correspondent and copy editor of Her Campus Rochester this upcoming school year.