The Prague Chronicles: On the Fringe of Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rochester chapter.

Most children, when asked the question, “What do you want to be when you grow up?” will say something along the lines of “Firefighter!”, “Astronaut!” or even “Princess!” However, this is not so for a group of young children filmed as part of an enlightening documentary about the plight of the Roma population in the Czech Republic. My Psychoanalysis class watched in disbelief as the children listed careers like “brick-layer”, “ditch-digger”, and “cleaning lady” as their dream goals. How is it possible, that in this modern, democratic society in Europe, such a sub-culture is so marginalized?

The only answer I can give is lots of practice taken from recurrence throughout history.

Currently in the Czech Republic, the vast majority of Roma children of school age go to “special” schools essentially intended for the mentally handicapped. They are often placed in these schools because at home they speak their “gypsy” language instead of Czech, so their Czech language skills are lower. The catch is, regardless of aptitude, students who attend the “special” schools are barred from entering university upon completion of their studies. Essentially no Roma attend university. This severely limits their potential and ability to contribute and change their situation. They rightfully don’t see themselves represented in society, which serves to isolate them even more. Prague is a bit more integrated than other parts of the country, but even ordinary Czechs look down upon the “gypsies” and believe that they are only good for manual labor and entertaining. They assume that Roma people don’t want to study, work, or be active members of society.  Kumar Vishwanathan, a physics professor from India in Prague, was attacked because he was presumed to be Roma.  More info about Kumar can be found here: http://romove.radio.cz/en/article/20834

During WWII, Roma were targeted for systematic genocide along with the Jews and sentenced to forced labor in concentration camps. Under communism they experienced restrictions on their cultural freedom, such as attempts at forcing them to be sedentary even though they were traditionally nomadic people. Chillingly, Roma women were subject to forced sexual sterilizations as part of efforts to reduce their population. This practice was continued in the Czech Republic as recently as 2004, which was after their entry into the EU.

Equally as scary, in 1998 the mayor of Ústí nad Labem attempted to build a wall on Maticní Street separating family houses on one side from tenement houses on the other. Since the latter were occupied mainly by Roma, it turned into an international racist scandal. Roma and activists attempted to physically block the construction of the wall with their bodies but in October 1999 the wall was completed. However, due to domestic and international pressure the wall was dismantled six weeks after it was originally erected. The EU response to this was basically, “No more walls in Europe!” Having recently seen the Berlin Wall on a trip to Germany last weekend, this appeal rang even more true to my ears.

What struck me most about Berlin was its size. It is a huge city. It spread out for miles and miles, and all the infrastructure seemed to be correspondingly oversized: the avenues, the modern buildings, the triumphant Brandenburg Gate, the Wall. After seeing Berlin (not to mention Poland, Hungary, and Austria), I can confidently say that I know more, much more about the Holocaust, the Nazi regime, and Communism in Europe than I ever could have learned about at home.  These places, these people, have seen quite a century.

But back to one thing I don’t know….I don’t know any Roma people. There are here, and I have seen them. But in all my months in this country, I do not believe I have ever had a conversation with one.

Food for thought Rochester… wishing everyone a Happy Passover and Easter.
Love Marina

Kaitlin Carragher is a junior at the University of Rochester majoring in Economics and minoring in Legal Studies.  While she has no previous experience with journalism, she is very excited to be a part of the Her Campus team.  Speaking of journalism, she put off writing this bio for four months, but hey who's counting?  Since her major's not quite her favorite thing, Kaitlin has spent most of her undergraduate career getting involved on campus.  She is currently President of the Epsilon Rho Chapter of Kappa Delta Sorority, an active member of student government, a Student-Alumni Ambassador, Relay for Life coordinator, and a few other other things--guess you can never have too many activities.  Originally from the suburbs of Boston, Kaitlin will be spending this summer in Dublin, Ireland, where she's hoping to finally be among people that are just as pale and freckled as she is.  Along with being pale, her other main weaknesses include a fear of the ocean, hatred of potato chips, and the inability to correctly pronounce "hot dog."  Kaitlin's current obsessions include Groupon, greek yogurt, and 90s pop music.  After college Kaitlin hopes to go into marketing, but she is currently searching for ways to extend the length of senior year to forever.