Heart & Soul Diva: Jalyssa James

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Rider chapter.
An upstanding and distinguished young woman, Jalyssa James shares with Her Campus™ her experiences with volunteering, her career goals, and the significance of God in her life.

What is your current major and what field of study do you hope to use this degree in?
I am currently majoring in Radio and TV. I hope to become a news anchor for a leading Christian Broadcasting network. I’ve always been a great leader with a strong voice. I want to use it in a way that would benefit the Kingdom of God.

As a participant in the Bonner program, you do an extensive amount of volunteer work. How have those volunteer experiences helped you grow as a student or as a person? What has been your favorite or most rewarding one thus far?
Some of the kids I work with have tremendous stories. They really inspire me to do more service with other children. They help me stay humble and grateful for the things that I have. I remember one instance where I taught a little boy how to properly tie his shoes. He was so excited he told everyone and I couldn’t have been happier.

Being a leader in many organizations, what would you say is the most important quality of a leader?
It is difficult to single out one quality because being a leader requires a multitude of strong characteristics. Despite that, a leader must most importantly be dedicated. It takes a lot to be the one people depend on. It takes even more to make an organization resilient without having it fall apart. That’s why being a dedicated leader is most important. With dedication comes responsibility. People have their eyes on you and are watching to see which move they should make next. Seeing a dedicated and responsible leader has the power to inspire a group to continuously grow and prosper.

As the President and Director of Rider University gospel choir, Unashamed, it’s clear that you’re passionate about it. What significance does this choir hold for you?
This choir is more than a group of voices to me. It is an instrument that was created to be used by God. There are a lot of people on Rider’s campuses and in the surrounding community that have not heard about the goodness of God and our executive board intends to change that. This group is a tool specifically handled by God.

What does success mean to you?
Success to me is fulfilling the task that God prepared for me. If I complete what he has set out in front of me, I know what I do will be blessed. I will be successful and there isn’t a person or power out there that could stop me.

Inspired? Don’t fight it. Connect more with Jalyssa on her Facebook page.
A New Jersey native, Amber S. Brown is an ambitious communication/journalism student who aspires to have a career in the magazine world. Amber is a well-rounded and committed student who has repeatedly earned herself a spot on the Dean’s list at her university. Her thirst and energy for writing, style, and fitness keeps her one step ahead of everyone else. Driven to bring something fresh and new to the magazine industry, Amber continues to be focused, motivated, and has an unbreakable “anything’s possible” attitude.