This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Ramapo chapter.

By Courtney Schmidt

With winter quickly approaching we find ourselves wondering, will the weather take a toll on our skin? With the cold air moving in, winter brings on a sudden change in our looks, as we find the colder weather turning our dewy skin into an ashy mess and our luscious locks into straw. So what’s a girl to do? With some proper prepping and the right products you’ll be able to achieve your dream look even on the coldest of days.

Hair

The cold dry air can wreak havoc on your hair. Prevent the frizz and dryness from taking over with these tips:

Don’t Over Wash

Washing your hair too often can strip your hair of it’s natural oils. In the winter months those oils help lock-in much needed moisture and keep your hair from looking like you’ve stuck your finger in a light socket. Instead wash your hair every other day. If this doesn’t seem like a possibility because your scalp produces too much oil, you can always try out a dry shampoo such as Tresemme Fresh Start Dry Shampoo (www.cvs.com). This will sop up an excess oil and give your hair more bounce.

For those struggling with Dandruff 

Switch out your current shampoo for an anti-dandruff shampoo. This will get rid of those horrible flakes and that itchy scalp.

Moisture, Moisture, Moisture

Use products that are moisture rich. You may have to switch your conditioner in the winter months to one that offers more hydration. Also, leave-in conditioners are a must have in the winter months to prevent breakage and to keep hair from drying out. You may even want to let your hair dry naturally to prevent damage that can be caused by heated styling tools. Extra Tip: Wash hair at night. Put mousse and leave-in conditioner in it and sleep on it. In the morning your hair will be silky smooth and have natural texture to it. Plus this knocks off some time from your morning routine.  

Skin

This winter avoid the dry skin blues!  Sometimes it seems like no matter how much moisturizer you lather on the flakes keep coming back. Here’s some reason’s why.

It’s just too hot 

The cold air may make us yearn for a steamy hot shower but that heat can wreak havoc on our skin. Water that is too hot draws moisture out of our skin. Turn down the heat and find relief. Also, check the time you spend in the shower. The shorter the shower the gentler you are on your skin (and the environment, too!). So limit the amount of time you take in the shower and beautiful skin will be in your future.

Bad Moisture

Another culprit for those winter time flakes may be your moisturizer. That moisturizer you used over the summer months is just too light and won’t cut it in the changing temperatures. Your best bet will be found in a product containing an oil such as jojoba, almond, olive, grapeseed oil or shea butter. Products with these ingredients will offer a little extra kick to keep your skin moist and comfortable all winter long.

*Sources:
http://www.teenvogue.com/beauty/blogs/beauty/2010/10/five-tips-on-how-to-protect-your-hair-this-winter.html

http://www.shape.com/lifestyle/beauty-style/winter-skin-prep