The Insanity of a Healthy Lifestyle in College: Revamp Your Workout

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Quinnipiac chapter.

At the end of our workout, we were drenched in sweat, our legs were shaking, and we couldn’t believe that it had only taken us 40 minutes to get this kind of work out. Want to know our secret? INSANITY

Although some might call us insane, INSANITY is actually a workout program that utilizes Max Interval Training. This type of training encourages long bursts of maximum-intensity exercises with 30-second periods of rest. Let us be the first to tell you, these workouts live up to their name.

Recently, we had found that our training had hit a plateau and we were in serious need of revamping our workout. INSANITY seemed like the best way to do so. We are pretty fit individuals that live a normal college life, meaning we don’t always find time for the gym every day, we aren’t always the healthiest eaters and on the weekends, well all bets are off.

When we first started this workout program, we weren’t sure what to expect. Our first week of INSANITY didn’t go as well as planned. We put the first DVD in and the warm up came on and we followed trainer Shaun T. We were catching up on each other’s day and chitchatting about our weekend plans throughout the three-minute warm up. We weren’t struggling at all! Without a break, we were doing the warm up again, just faster and more intense, suddenly we were no longer talking as we tried to keep up with Shaun T. Round three of the warm up was all out, as fast as you can do it and it was obvious that we were struggling as exhaustion set in. Finally after nine minutes, we had a minute long break. We were completely exhausted, sweating through our shirts, and laughing at the fact that we had only finished the warm up!

As the week went on we realized that we start out looking very coordinating and feeling like “hey I can do this,” but by the end we look like idiots praying that no one walks into our house and sees us! The best advice we can offer from this week: who cares!

INSANITY workouts are entirely different than anything you get from basic cardio and strength training sessions at the gym. If you’re like us, and just want to completely revamp your workout routine then try some of these insane moves that have been adapted for dorm room workouts.

Do each exercise below for 1 minute without stopping between exercises. After you’ve completed one round, rest for a minute then go again. Perform this circuit three times, picking up the intensity and speed each time. Remember to push through, land softly and keep your core tight. Good luck!

Jogging in place for 1 minute
Jumping jacks for 1 minute
Heisman for 1 minute

Stand with feet hip-width apart, elbows bent, arms close to body. Hop on left foot, bringing right knee toward chest as you drive left arm forward, right arm back like a sprinter. Quickly hop onto right foot, reversing motion.

123-123 for 1 minute

Heisman with a twist. Stand with feet hip-width apart, elbows bent, arms close to body. Starting with your right foot, take three small steps towards the right bringing the left knee towards the chest as you drive right arm forward. Reverse motion.

Butt kicks for speed for 1 minute

Stand with your feet pointed straight ahead and placed shoulder-width apart. Contract your glutes, jump up and bring your heel to your butt.

High knees for 1 minute

Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and drive your right knee to the chest. Keep your chest up, pump your arms and land on the balls of your feet as you switch knees.

Mummy kicks for 1 minute

Stand with feet hip-width apart, arms at shoulder height straight out in front of you. Starting with your right foot, tapping your foot out in front and then bring it back and reverse motion. Your arms stay up and crisscross them for the entire minute.

Callie Barkley is the Campus Correspondent and a contributing writer for Quinnipiac University. At Quinnipiac, which is located in Callie's home state of Connecticut, she studies Public Relations with a minor in Computer Information Systems and will be graduating in 2014. Callie's writing interests are related to healthy eating, working out, and surviving the intern/job world. When Callie is not focused on her work she loves to spend time with her friends and family, travel, and will take up any offer to have a little fun!