THON Dancer Mail: Ideas and Important Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

For 46 hours, the Bryce Jordan Center is filled with love, music and dancing for THON weekend. As Penn State collegiettes, we can proudly tell people that THON is the largest student-run philanthropy in the world; we can discuss the millions of dollars raised in the fight against pediatric cancer. We can inform them of the history behind the Penn State IFC/Panhellenic Dance Marathon and how much it has grown over the years.

But for us lucky enough to be a part of THON, it is so much more than the facts and statistics. Too often forgotten are the students standing on their feet for those 46 hours; the dancers.

Students from different clubs, organizations, fraternities, sororities and even those who raise money independently come together THON weekend for one united cause, and they need our support.

One of the biggest ways you can help is by sending dancer mail. Dancer mail is a small gesture with a huge pay-off. Moraler Alyssa Hirschberg says dancer mail is one of the best ways to boost dancers’ spirits.

“Good mail is something personal like inside jokes; something inspirational or something that makes them laugh. You just want them to know you’re thinking of them,” says Hirschberg

Another great option is sending a package. Packages can include practical things like Dr. Scholl’s inserts, mouthwash and deodorant, as well as fun things like crossword puzzles, coloring books, Velcro balls and mitts, play-doh or a disposable camera. The THON website recommends keeping packages to the size of a shoebox.

Deadlines for dancer mail and packages are rapidly approaching so here are the dates and info to keep in mind:

Feb. 9: Dancer mail due in the HUB. Letters should be turned into 324 HUB and packages to 327 HUB.
Make sure to have your dancer’s name and dancer number on all mail/packages.

If mailing a letter or package, it must be postmarked by Feb. 7 and addressed: Attn: Mail Call
Dancer Number, Dancer Name
210 Hetzel Union Building (HUB)
University Park, PA 16802

For letters/packages you would like delivered before THON starts, label letters as PTL (Pre-THON Letter) and send packages directly to moralers.

Online dancer mail can be submitted via the THON website until 11:59 p.m. Feb. 8.

Don’t stress out too much if you can’t meet these deadlines though. New this year, mail can be turned in during THON weekend to dancers’ moralers, as well.

THON starts Feb. 17, so get to it!