A Thank You Letter To Mike The Mailman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

Two years ago, when I was a young sophomore, still learning all the traditions of this vast university, I had the privilege of interviewing Mike the Mailman.

I had heard stories of cookie contests and anniversary cards on campus tours before, but I never really knew what all the fuss was about until I came face to face with the man himself – the one and only Mike Herr.

It was the first interview I had ever conducted, and it quickly became the most memorable. Mike took an hour out of his lunch break to sit down with me and answer all my questions. When our time was up, we got into a conversation about an upcoming football game. I told him my parents would be coming for a tailgate, and without hesitation, he told me his cell number and said to give him a ring when they came.

It ended up being a rainy and cold gameday, and the tailgate we had set up was minimal. But it didn’t stop Mike. My parents (both Penn State grads) couldn’t believe it when they saw him rolling toward us on his bike through the rain smiling ear-to-ear like he always does. He spent some time with us, spoke with my parents about all things Penn State and of course, sampled my mom’s cookies. To this day, I still brag about that day.

I share this story because I think it quickly demonstrates the reason this man is so celebrated within this university and beyond. Mike the Mailman is more than just a person; he’s a longstanding figurehead and respected symbol of Penn State and everything it stands for. He’s used his employment as a post office clerk to affect the lives of countless individuals in the most positive way possible, and the impact he’s made in the past 48 years is beyond belief.

So, Mike, on behalf of my fellow Penn Staters, I’d like to share a few thank yous.

1. Thank you for teaching us how to send a package home when we were embarrassed to admit we actually had no idea what we were doing.

2. Thank you for letting our moms try to win your monthly cookie contest (even if you wouldn’t let them include any chocolate).

3. Thank you for delivering Mail Call for many years to the Penn State Dance Marathon and brightening the faces of THON dancers and Four Diamonds families alike.

4. Thank you for taking selfies with us so we could say we got a picture with a Penn State celebrity.

5. Thank you for staying loyal to State College even after you became famous on the CBS Evening News.

6. Thank you for participating in countless campus events and supporting so many clubs and organizations at Penn State.

7. Thank you for brightening our days every time we stepped foot into your office.

8. Thank you for complimenting our sneakers and all the other kind words you shared.

9. Thank you for showing us what it means to truly love your job.

10. Thank you for reminding us to appreciate the people we meet.

11. Thank you for always being the happiest person in Happy Valley.

12. Thank you for representing Penn State in the best possible light.

13. Thank you for spreading smiles, laughs and pure joy every day you go to work.

14. Thank you for making a difference.

15. Thank you for being you.

We can’t believe the time has come, Mike. We will miss you immensely, but your presence on this university will remain. We are all better people having met you, and for that, we cannot thank you enough.

Wishing you all the best in your well-deserved retirement,

Penn State students

Photo credit: 1

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.