This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

With the endless lines, cramped spaces and disgruntled customers, many people approach visiting the post office as more of a chore – one that they hate to do. Sadly, those people don’t reside in Happy Valley, Pennsylvania. Here at Penn State, the faculty, staff and students all know that taking a little trip to the post office is guaranteed to be the highlight of their day – all thanks to the clerk behind the desk. One we lovingly refer to as Mike the Mailman.

HC: How did the name Mike the Mailman come about?

MM: What’s funny is that I’m not actually a mailman, but Mike the Clerk didn’t sound as good. I couldn’t really tell you exactly how the name came about. I think I was playing with the idea and mailman just sounded better than clerk. As soon as it got out though, the name really stuck.

HC: Did you always want to be a mailman? 

MM: Not at all. I grew up in Lock Haven and was going for a degree in computer science. Back then the only job available was in Rochester, New York for Eastman Kodak. I knew I’d be homesick so my dad told me to apply for a job at the post office on Fraser Street. I found out I got the job on April Fool’s Day of 1968 so I wasn’t sure if I should take it seriously or not, It turned out it wasn’t a prank and I started the night shift there. It sounds bad, but working the night shift never bothered me because everyone was always out and about in downtown State College. While I was working there, I also served as the backup clerk for the post office here on campus. I fell in love with it here, and, eventually, as the other clerks retired, I became the permanent one here in 1974.

HC: What’s the best part of your job?

MM: Monday morning. It’s a new week – I love it. The best part is the faculty, staff and students. I’m a people person so I like working with them, especially the first time mailers. For a lot of students it’s their first time visiting a post office and having to mail things on their own, so it’s fun to be able to help them out. Sometimes I feel like I’m more of a counselor for everyone than a mailman. I just like it here. I’ve been here a long time, but I still have a passion for it.

HC: What was it like being interviewed by CBS Evening News

MM: They called me 10 months before the interview actually happened but must have forgotten about it due to the scandal and everything that was going on here. So last February they called again and said they were sending Steve Hartman and a cameraman named Bob. So they came into town, and we ended up having an interview that was ten hours long. We went downtown for lunch, I took Steve to get a sport coat and we spent a lot of time here at the office. When he and Bob left, they said it was the best time they’ve ever had at a post office. It was fun, but the response was unbelievable. People from all over the country were sending me things after the interview aired. I couldn’t believe it.

HC: What Penn State event do you look forward to the most each year?

MM: Well I’ve been doing the mail call for THON for 25 years now. I can remember when it was at the White Building and my two daughters, Marykate and Michaela, used to help me. Now there’s so much they need a whole mail call team. It’s so fun there and it makes it hard to leave. I mean you leave at 4 in the morning and realize wow, I’m so fired up I can’t go to bed! It just overwhelms me what goes on there. You see these kids battling cancer, and you don’t see how there’s anything in the world worth whining about. It’s just a different perspective.

HC: Many of us have heard about a famous cookie contest you host every month. How did that all get started and what’s your favorite cookie to receive? 

MM: I sent a thank you postcard to the first person who gave me cookies, and it inspired me to start a cookie of the month award board. At the time, I worked alongside Don, a beloved friend of mine, and he and I had the idea to send pictures of ourselves to the winners along with a little message. The message always encouraged them to keep sending cookies because there was no rule against winning twice.  I send thank you notes to every person who wins the contest. As far as my favorite, people think it’s oatmeal raisin, but it’s really oatmeal filled. They’re tough to make though and can normally only be done by moms or grandmas. Other than that, I’d have to say my favorite is really anything with coconut. The great thing about the cookie contest is that it’s lead to more than just cookies. One day I even had a woman bring me two freshly made coconut cream pies into the office. So it’s lead to all kinds of different desserts, but I figure cookie of the month sounds cuter than dessert of the month so that’s what I stick with. I ‘ve got to tell you though I’ve gained 3 whole pounds in the last 30 years, so I may have to slow down on the cookie contest.

HC:Why the no chocolate rule? 

MM: People think it’s because I don’t like chocolate but that’s really not the case. The reason I have the no chocolate rule is to make it a harder contest.

HC: What is the best piece of advice you could offer to any Penn State student?

MM: I would say life is a holiday – you’ve got to enjoy it. 

HC: Is Mike the Mailman going to retire anytime soon? 

MM: Everyone says you’ll know when you’re ready – I’m not quite ready yet.

I think I speak for all Penn State students when I say I hope that retirement day never comes. Although he shied away from the title multiple times during our interview, Mike the Mailman is a true celebrity here at Penn State and an inspiration to anyone who gets the pleasure of talking to him. He’s the kind of person we could all learn a little something from, and his outlook on life is one to be admired. So if you haven’t made your trip to the post office next to the HUB yet, I highly suggest you do so. Buy some stamps, drop off some cookies or simply go in to say hi. Mike always welcomes visitors and I guarantee you’ll walk out of there with a huge smile on your face. I’ll leave you all with a few words of wisdom Mike said during the interview that basically sum up everything you need to know about our celebrity –  “I’m about silliness. Life is so fragile – you’ve got to have the best time with it.”

Rachael David is currently a senior at Penn State University and serves as the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Penn State. She is majoring in public relations and minoring in psychology. Her love of creative writing and all things Penn State is what inspired her to become a member of the HC team in the fall of 2013. Her background experience includes working for the Undergraduate Admissions Office at Penn State as a social media intern in the spring of 2014 and is currently working as a social media intern for an internet marketing company in Harrisburg called WebpageFX. This past summer she also served as a PR intern for Tierney Communications. Rachael enjoys anything media related especially catching up on her favorite shows, including Saturday Night Live and any show on Food Network. She has a passion for food but also loves being active and spending her free time running or hiking. She hopes to gain more experience in all aspects of the media industry during college and plans on pursuing a career writing for a life & style publication in the future.
Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.