Runway Vs. Campus: Three Fall Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

As the summer season approaches an end, we lovely ladies here at Penn State have to start planning our autumn wardrobe!  Every year you look at your closet and think, how can I change up my outfits or what can I wear that will make me unique? Well just last week was New York Fashion Week and a bunch of new trends were featured. The outfits on the runway may be a little too extravagant for campus, but you can still rock these awesome trends.

Trend 1: Thigh-High Boots

Runway Look

Vs.

Campus Look

For the Runway Look the boots and outfit give off a very edgy and hip vibe. The boots definitely make a strong statement so try not to overdo your outfit and accessories. By pairing the boots with either a dress or skirt, this look is perfect for going to a glitzy and glamorous event. If you’re feeling daring, you can also try showing off a little leg! The Campus Look is obviously the outfit we would have an easier time pulling off. We all have our favorite pair of skinny jeans that we could match with these boots. To give off a more relaxed look make sure your shirt or jacket is casual. If you want to elongate your legs or just try something different from your flats, wear these boots.

Trend 2: Leather

Runway Look

Vs.

Campus Look

According to the Huffington Post, leather was frequently seen on the runway, especially in shades of blue and burgundy. As seen in the Runway Look, the color tones and material is very rich and chic. Matching your shoes with the color of the dress will definitely complete and tie in the whole look (if you aren’t wearing tights). The lace embellishments by the collar also makes this style elegant. If you decide you do not want to commit to something this bold, or that you want to wear tights, then you should try the Campus Look. This outfit is casual enough to wear to class but would also work for a party or get together. Another great alternative is faux leather, which makes this trend more affordable for college girls on a budget.

Trend 3: Classic Plaid Print

Runway Look

Campus Look

Classic prints like plaid are becoming a popular staple this season for all of the fashion gurus out there. Whether it’s found in coats, skirts, shirts or pants, we should add this pattern to our closet. You can go both ways with this design, either formal or grunge. Now I’m not saying the Runway Look isn’t fabulous but the Campus Look is more relatable to us college girls. This look is great to wear if you have an important meeting, are going on an interview, giving a presentation in class, or just dressing to impress. The way the loose fitting shirt drapes over the top of skirt is gorgeous and the red heels pop with the detail in the skirt. Instead of wearing plain solid colors, plaid definitely brings out a fun quality while still adding a timeless touch.

Torri Singer is an undergrad student at Penn State University. She is a broadcast journalism major and loves all things creative, so when she joined the PSU HC chapter she knew it was right up her alley. Her favorite topics to cover include lifestyle, pop culture, relationships and current events. When she isn't writing or editing she loves trying her hand at photography and recently won second place in the national Society of Professional Journalism award for her photography coverage of Hurricane Sandy. Torri is currently interning in New York City in the creative services department of WPIX Chanel 11 News as well as writing editorial pieces for The Two River Times Newspaper in New  Jersey. After graduation she hopes to be heading to live in New York City, her favorite place in the world.