Catelynn & Tyler Visit PSU Part II

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at PSU chapter.

We learned about Catelynn and Tyler’s experience with adoption Friday night.  Saturday morning, I had the opportunity to sit down with them to talk about their lives and plans for their future.

HC: How do you stay in contact and involved with Bethany Christian Services day-to-day?
Catelynn: I really keep in contact with Marc (vice president of marketing and communications) and Dawn (their pregnancy counselor).  I keep them updated on things that are going on in my life. [Tyler and I] talk to Dawn all the time.

HC: How do you respond to people who believe that the show “Teen Mom” glamorizes teen pregnancy?
Catelynn: I get a lot of older moms whose kids watch the show and they’re like ‘oh my gosh, you shouldn’t be watching that, it’s just glamorizing teen pregnancy.’  I always tell somebody if you think that that’s glamorizing teen pregnancy then I don’t believe at all that you’ve even watched the show.  I always tell them that in every episode somebody can’t buy diapers, somebody’s fighting with their boyfriend, or the kid’s crying and they can’t do their schoolwork. It’s showing a bunch of struggles, so it’s definitely not glamorizing.
Tyler: Everyone’s struggling with something all the time.

HC: How do you feel about being in the spotlight and “famous” for something that normally has a negative image in society?
Catelynn: I always say I don’t use the f-word which is famous and I don’t use the c-word which is celebrity because I really don’t consider us that. I get people all the time that are like ‘oh my gosh you are just like you are on TV.’ And I’m like ‘yeah, I’m not faking it.’
Tyler: I feel good. I think that the show is giving a different message. People will assume and think oh that’s so bad. With our situation, as far as adoption, I think it’s a good thing for us. It’s a good thing for adoption and for people to know more about adoption.

HC: Do you watch your own episodes?
Tyler: No, not really (laughing) but sometimes I do and I’m like ‘dude Tyler, what are you wearing? Why would you say that?’  I lived it, I don’t really need to watch it.
Catelynn: I mean sometimes I do. But I do remember the first “16 & Pregnant” commercial and I was like, ‘dude this is so weird, I am rubbing my belly on national television.’

HC: What is the most embarrassing moment that was caught on camera but not aired?
Tyler: We’re pretty loose on camera.  But I guess the most embarrassing thing is when they film you in the morning right when you wake up.

HC: How long did it take to get used to being filmed?
Tyler: Honestly I would say a month.
Catelynn: After that, we got so close with everybody. They’re still like family to us.
HC: So it’s more comfortable now.
Catelynn: Yeah definitely. It got way more comfortable.
Tyler: Our producers, we still talk to them all the time.
Catelynn: We had a bunch of nicknames for all of them.
Tyler: It’s fun.

HC: Last night, you told us you bought your first house.  What is your first big project you both want to complete for your new house?
Tyler: We put a brand new bathroom in with my aunt. She’s a contractor. She and I did it together. We also have put in a backsplash for our kitchen, we refinished the floors, and painted. We did a lot of stuff already.

HC: Do you know what your wedding colors and/or theme is going to be yet?
Catelynn: Our colors are burgundy and off-white. 
Tyler: We’re getting married in a castle with a huge staircase and chandeliers, it’s really elegant. 
Catelynn: And we’re saying our vows in a 1800s chapel.

HC: How long did it take you to find your wedding dress?
Catelynn: Not that long. I knew what I wanted. I tried on dresses all day and the last dress I tried on, I put it on and started bawling my eyes out and I said, “this is it.” So I bought it.
Tyler: She watches “Say Yes to the Dress.” She’s obsessed with it.
Catelynn: I love it.
Tyler: I was worried she was going to take a year to pick out a dress and it’s crazy because the next day she comes back and says, “I found it!”

Catelynn also addressed the feeling that some women face when dealing with adoption: not being able to give their baby away.
Catelynn: When people write me on Twitter that they’d never be able to do [adoption,] the number one thing I always say is, ‘don’t ever tell yourself you can’t do something unless you’ve tried to do it.’ And a lot of people will write me back and be like, ‘wow I never thought of it that way.’ I thought that I couldn’t do it, but I tried it and I did it.
Tyler: I think a mother has the strength to do what she needs to do for that child.  I think that a mom has to go really deep in herself to find it. I mean it’s not easy, but I think every mom has that strength to sacrifice and do whatever’s best for that baby.  I’m so at peace with adoption.

Now, for some fun questions. First thing that comes to your mind when I say:

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor
Catelynn: Mint choc chip
Tyler: Reeses

Favorite Movie
Catelynn: The Notebook
Tyler: Godfather

Tea or Coffee
Catelynn: Tea
Tyler: Coffee

Sun or Snow
Catelynn: Sun
Tyler: Sun

Guilty pleasure
Catelynn: My guilty pleasure is shoes. You should see my closet.
Tyler: I’ve been obsessed with Bateman since I was seven years old.

Maddie is a junior at Penn State pursuing a major in Public Relations with a minor in Business. She is from Timonium, MD. She loves all things pop culture and hopes to pursue a career in the entertainment industry.