Life > Experiences

Katie Cullen: PC’s Most Underrated Comedian

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Providence chapter.

Katie Cullen is a senior at Providence College from Westchester New York, studying both mathematics and secondary education. She is one of the smartest people you will come across, SLAYING abstract algebra (yeah, apparently that’s a thing), as well as one of the funniest. While seemingly the perfect human being, smart, beautiful, funny, nice; Katie does have one major pitfall… she is a sucker for a good gimmick. Marketing majors, if you’re struggling to figure out if your pitch will land just give Katie a call. Having Katie as my roommate made it pretty easy for me to get her to answer the everyday mundane questions, as well as the questions that really uncover what makes Katie Cullen, Katie Cullen.

Megan: I’m going to start off with some of  the ~basic~ questions, and then as we go along we will get to the more personal ones that are tailored towards you. To start us off, why did you choose to come to PC and study Math and Secondary Education?

Katie: I came to PC because I thought the campus was really pretty. I really liked that the buildings are brick and not stone. When I was looking at the Secondary Ed program, I really liked the fact that you get a degree in Math as well as the Secondary Ed certification. I also really wanted to win an intramural T-shirt and I really liked the Dunkin’ Donuts line camera. But in all seriousness, when I came to PC it was all Friar Fam, and all of that sentimental good stuff. 

Megan: When your week is overloaded with assignments, what is your go-to snack?

Katie: It depends, are mozzarella sticks considered a snack (question mark)? I guess if we are going the traditional route, McPhail’s popcorn… it’s always there for me.

Megan: Where is your favorite study spot, or place to do homework?

Katie: I have two answers, Slavin has my heart. But if I have to get some serious work done, I have to go to Club Phil.

Megan: Providence College is obviously New England’s Disney World, what is your favorite ride here? AKA what is your favorite building?

Katie: I like Howley because its underrated and because its the Math building. I think their spiral staircase is cool.

Megan: If you could be any animal, what animal would you be and why?

Katie: Monkey. Because I think it would be fun to have a tail and swing around. Plus, I think monkeys are adorable.

Megan: On any given night of the week, what could we expect Katie Cullen to be eating for dinner?

Katie: Pasta. Dino Nugs. I also like egg noodles a lot, and chicken parm from alumni. Those are definitely my go-to’s. But I also eat salads because it’s all about that healthy balance.

Megan: Have you ever prank called someone? 

Katie: I can honestly say I don’t think I ever have… Is that shocking?

Megan: Having the last name “McGunigle” I get hit with a lot of jokes about Harry Potter and Professor McGonagle a lot. Have you found that people like to relate your last name to a movie series?

Katie: I can’t say that’s ever happened to me… kidding. Uhm yes, people call me a vampire all the time. They also say I sparkle in the sunlight. I do have an uncle named Edward Cullen though!

Megan: When evaluating the marketing strategies of the brand Cheetos, which gimmick did you find to be more effective, the Cheetos Paws or the Cheetos Bag of Bones?

Katie: This is a tough question. I am going to have to answer with Cheetos Paws. They’re cute, fun, and delicious! Also, the Bag of Bones is only good around Halloween, but Cheetos Paws can be enjoyed year round. 

Megan:  It has been said around campus that you are someone people go to when they need a good laugh. How do you think you have come to acquire such a good sense of humor?

Katie: Uhm, I genuinely don’t know how to answer that question. To be honest, I didn’t think people thought I was that funny. I think it’s all about timing and tone. 

Megan: Finally, you have some classic one liners that get reused from time to time by friends. What have been your best lines that you have used lately?

Katie: 

• Your Ray swipes start over today and so can you (on Sundays). 
  • Don’t let anyone treat you like an ‘Acceptable’ textbook. You are a ‘Good’ to ‘Very Good’ textbook.
  • We need to get the W in Hand Ball tonight. Because we all need a W and we know we aren’t getting it anywhere else.
  • *When her fish died* Its my fault for looking at the bowl.
Megan McGunigle is a Political Science and English double major at Providence College. On campus, Megan is involved with WDOM the student run radio station, Club Figure Skating and the organization Generation Citizen. Generation Citizen helps to civically engage students in local middle schools and high schools. She also enjoys ice cream, chocolate, and pizza. Her dream job would be working as a journalist in Washington D.C. to write about all the country's political happenings.