What A Collegiette Should Wear to Her Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

This article is a guest post from Jessica Novak of I’ll Take that in Purple

Summer has begun! And with it come summer vacations, internships, and, for some of you, first jobs. So, you have a flawless resume, you’ve nailed the interview, and now you have an offer. But then comes the hard part: what should you wear?

The days of the business suit are over, and “business casual” has emerged as the dress code of choice. But bus-cas is such a nebulous term! Where to draw the line? Sometimes, people play it so safe that they end up completely abandoning all traces of personal style in order to blend into the work place. And other times, people push the limit past the point of appropriate (think the “casual Friday” episode of The Office). But I’m here to tell you that you don’t have to sacrifice style just because you’re a working woman.

Here are three outfits that are work appropriate, but still manage to incorporate some of this season’s hottest trends. But before we start, just a few rules that you should bear in mind when dressing for work:
1. If you’re embarrassed to wear it around your parents, don’t wear it to work.
2. Don’t ever be the first person of the season to wear shorts! Let someone else do it, guage the reaction around the office, then decide if it’s appropriate.
3. Rompers are never ok at work. Period.
4. Always wear proper undergarments.
5. If you can see said undergarments, you should probably put on more clothes.

Ok, here goes: three fool-proof, fashion-forward outfits fit for the workplace!

1. If you’re going into finance or consulting, you can’t go wrong with all black. Really, all-black is a pretty safe bet for all industries (especially if you live in New York), but this monochrome color combo makes it super easy to experiment with fabrics and cuts without pushing the bounds of workplace appropriate.

Skinny black pants: GAP. Blazer: Theyskens’ Theory. Top: Equipment. Shoes: Louboutin. Bag: 3.1 Phillip Lim. Watch: Michael Kors.
These skinny black pants from GAP are probably my favorite work-appropriate wardrobe staple (and they’re only $60!) and I swear, they look good on everyone from my best friend to my mother (yes, she has a pair). This sheer Equipment shirt adds a little sass, especially with the tie at the waist (wear this with a cami, folks!), but the super tailored Theyskens’ Theory blazer ties it together.

Top: Equipment. Blazer: Theory. Pants: GAP. Shoes: Zara. Clutch: Zara.

2. If you’re working in Marketing, Advertising, PR, or even fashion, you can push the limits a little bit more when it comes to office chic. This classic Theory blazer is a workplace staple and looks great with black pants or jeans. You can also incorporate a little color-blocking with this Equipment shirt and Zara heels. Because even if work is boring, your outfit shouldn’t be!

Jeans: 7 for all Mankind. Blazer: 3.1 Phillip Lim. Top: Equipment. Shoes: Zara. Bag: The Cambridge Satchel 

3. And finally, if you’re lucky enough to work for a startup (like me!) pretty much anything goes. However, you still want to maintain a level of professionalism. Dress sharp, work sharp, as they say! I like to wear a nice pair of skinny jeans with a silk top and a blazer, just to tie it all together. And I’m going through a serious neon phase, so… why not? As long as it’s not distracting, a little neon in the workplace never hurt anyone!

Good luck and Godspeed as you enter the work force! And remember, it’s not about what you wear, it’s about what you do. But… there’s no reason you can’t look great doing it! So make good friends with Zara and black skinny pants from the GAP, and get out there and conquer the world.

Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.