Susie Scanlan: ’14 and 2012 Olympic Bronze Medalist in Women’s Epee Team Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Princeton chapter.

Hometown: St. Paul, MN
Major: Economics

What got you into fencing? 

I started fencing when I was 9 because I wanted to try sword fighting.
What as your most funny/shocking experience at the Olympics?

Meeting Michelle Obama. I was starstruck and literally could not speak.

Is it true what they say about people going wild at the Olympics (sex rumors)?
 It really wasn’t that crazy. People obviously went out, but it wasn’t like all of the articles. It was actually similar to a college campus.

How did you feel the moment you realized you won a medal at the Olympics? 

I actually don’t really remember it. You could say I blacked out for about 30 seconds. Then I just started thinking “HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT, HOLY SHIT!”.
Favorite Olympic moment: Opening ceremonies. I did not anticipate it being so emotional.

Favorite fencing moment?
 Winning a close bout in overtime

Fun Fact?

I fence with my left hand, but write with my right.

What was the coolest thing you experienced from being an Olympian other than an amazing honor and a medal?: Meeting other people who went through a similar qualifying experience. It was a long two years and it was nice to have people who could empathize. It was also an amazing experience to represent the U.S. and to meet the president.

Susie’s Favorites:

Favorite Food: Tacos
Favorite Store: Lululemon
Favorite Color: Blue
Favorite Celeb: LeBron James
Favorite Movie: Gladiator
Favorite spot to eat on campus: Twist!

Favorite Drink: grapefruit juice
Favorite class at Princeton: macroeconomics
Favorite hobby: Yoga
Favorite Show: Archer

adsingh

Princeton

Born and raised in New Jersey. Member of the Princeton Varsity Fencing team who are 2013 National Champions! I have one little brother who I love very much and he is a squash player.
Ajibike Lapite is a member of Princeton University’s Class of 2014. When not studying, Ajibike tutors at the Young Scholar’s Institute in Trenton, NJ; serves as the President  of the Princeton Premedical Society; is the Editor-in-Chief of Her Campus Princeton; currently holds the title of Most Stylish Undergraduate (from Stylitics). Ajibike is a  molecular biology major with a certificate in global health & policy. She enjoys consumption of vanilla ice cream and sweet tea, watching games of criquet, exploring libraries, lusting after Blair Waldorf’s wardrobe, watching far too much television, editing her novel, staying watch at the mailbox, playing tennis and golf in imitation of the pros, hanging out with the best friends she’s ever had, baking cookies that aren’t always awesome, being Novak Djokovic’s fan girl, and sleeping—whenever and wherever she can.