This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Now that the holiday season has begun we have several things to look forward to like winter break (we’re so close!), spending time with family, and, of course, presents! Since most of us are fending off student debt and making minimum wage at best, money in high demand, but here are some alternatives you can ask for. These range from the cheap to kinda pricey but all are under $100. Enjoy getting some gifts that you’ll actually use!

Extended Charging Cable for Your Phone

These can range from 4 feet to 10 feet and go from $15-$30 depending on what size you get. These are great because you can use your phone while it charges, even if you’re on a raised bed! Now you’ll never have to leave your bed (except for those pesky things called classes).

Portable Phone Charger/External Battery

This is another tech gadget you’ll find useful whether Google Maps in draining your battery in the city or you want to watch movies without your phone dying on the flight home. Depending on the size you get, some chargers can hold 6 charges for your device and because it plugs in with a USB port, they are compatible with nearly all phone and tablet types. They can range from $30 to $80 but Amazon is having a sale on the one pictured below! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VLNT9KW/

TSA Precheck

For those out of state students who are racking up frequent flyer miles, this is so helpful in getting to your flight on time. TSA precheck is like a fast pass through security and it can be purchased for $85 for five years and it works for all airlines in the United States. Though, you will have to visit an airport with the pre-check service to get your application verified. You can get more information on the TSA website here: https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

Barnes & Noble’s Gift Cards

These work at the campus bookstore and will make you want to cry a little less when you pick up your textbooks for the spring semester. Or if you’re like me, then you can actually buy books you want to read with them.

Cooking supplies

Let’s face it, we’ve all gotten sick of commons food at some point. The dorms all have some cooking supplies but they are missing a few key things like spatulas, bowls, or seasoning. So after raiding Bed Bath, & Beyond, you can be well equipped to make eggs, pasta, etc.

I'm an Environmental Ethics and Policy Major, an intersectional feminist, and fashion lover.