Outfit of the Day Inspiration: 04/16/2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

MONDAY: Shorts and Sweaters!

Portland has been enjoying an awesome amount of much-needed sun lately, causing many of us to break out those long missed shorts and summer dresses.  Yet the occasional chilly or rainy day still sneaks in the forecast and dressing to be prepared for either eventuality can be tricky.  One option is to pair shorts with a sweater, creating a balance of both cool and warm!

Outfit #1: Boho!
This look is a perfect way to ease your shorts back into your everyday wardrobe!  Starting with a comfy pair in a fun color, add a large belt and a funky striped sweater in a neutral pattern.  Cream legwarmers or high socks with boots give the outfit a sweet yet practical element, and bright necklace and headband finish off the subtle hippie vibe.  Feel free to layer a short-sleeved top under the sweater for added warmth in the morning and then as a backup in case the day really heats up later on. 

[pagebreak]

Outfit #2: Off-the-Shoulder!
This look takes the sweater/shorts combo of outfit #1 and ditches boho fun for a more polished feel.  Start with white shorts or a trendy pair of lace ones.  Then throw on a loose, off-the-shoulder sweater in either contrasting black or another dark color.  Sunglasses and chunky gold jewelry finish the outfit off with clean sophistication, while a patterned headband lends the look color and interest.  For shoes, it’s your choice: high boots or pretty flats would work, and even sneakers would be fun to try! 

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.