Jena Graham Breaking into a Man’s World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

You may have seen Jena busily hustling around campus with her demanding schedule. This sophomore Engineering major always has a full credit load and three jobs to juggle, but she never lets that slow her down. It is her drive and passion that will make Jena so successful in a male dominated career choice such as Computer Science. This girly girl is all pretty in pink on the outside and all business and brains when it comes to her work. Look out for Jena at UP!

Major: Computer Science Engineering

Minor: Math

Honors Student: 1 of 30 sophomore students chosen for honors, while over 300 applied!

Relationship: Cameron Miller, three years

Clubs: Society of Women Engineers

Internships: “I am interning in CodeSmart this summer in Olympia and Seattle.”

Jobs: “I plan the Society of Women Engineer’s Career fair in Shiley with over forty company’s wanting to hire our students (not just females)! I also work at admission at front desk and a phone ambassador there.”

Favorite thing this year? “Trip to Hawaii for SWE conference and meeting girls from other colleges. It felt good to meet other girls in my field in a fun setting and then be able to discuss our field and ideas. And moving off campus finally!”

Favorite Hobbies? “I like to play tennis, even though there isn’t enough time. I love to spend way too much money shopping, cooking, constantly painting my nails, and spending time with the people I love.”

What do you want to do after graduation? “I would love to work in something with Graphic Web Art Design because that is my CS focus. Maybe getting into something about the aesthetic aspects of websites and the designs.”

Favorite candy? “Oh, Reese without a doubt.”

What’s your impression of UP? “I like the small school family atmosphere and knowing everyone in my class. I also like the CS department because I have already had all the professors and know all my peers really well. And I like Portland.”

With so many jobs, what is the credit load you take? “I take as many as 21 credits and only as few as 17, and that was only one semester.”

Quirky facts about you? “I’ve been to 49 states, only haven’t been to Alaska!”

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.