Friendsgiving!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

A new and fun tradition that I have seen popping up more recently is Friendsgiving! It’s a fun get together of friends before, during, or after Thanksgiving! Some people can’t be with their families during the holiday, so it’s a nice way to still celebrate and be with people you love. Friendsgiving can be anything you want it to be and the main purpose is to relax and have a great time. Here are a few tips to help you pull together an unforgettable Friendsgiving!

Food

Typically, people like to keep with the Thanksgiving tradition and make a full-blown Thanksgiving meal! This includes everything from turkey, to mash potatoes, to stuffing, and pumpkin pie. Don’t feel like you have to do this though. If you and your friends want to make pizza, order Thai food, or even make pasta, the choice is up to you!

Bake

I love when I get to bake with my friends. It’s always a lot more fun when you have company and Friendsgiving is the perfect time to try out that new cookie, pie, or cake recipe (especially when you get to try it out after dinner)!   

Movies

Whether you go out to see a movie (like the new Hunger Games movie) or pull out any of the classic Harry Potter films, a movie is a nice way to relax after the dinner feast! Side note, because it will be appropriate to now think about Christmas, I would recommend busting out Elf to get you in the holiday spirit!

TV Marathon

Maybe movies really aren’t your thing, so a TV show marathon is another great way to go! Nexflix just added all of the seasons of Gilmore Girls (yes!) and Thanksgiving break is the perfect time to catch up on all of the shows you have missed because of studying!

Games

Sometimes there is nothing as fun as sitting around a table and playing some board games. Cards Against Humanity, Apples to Apples, Banana Grams, and even Monopoly a few great ones that can be fun conversation starters and provide a lot of laughs!   

Remember that Friendsgiving is all about doing what you love with your friends. You can make it anything you want it to be (there is no wrong way)! At the end of the day if you have a full stomach and have had a great time, that’s a successful Friendsgiving in my book!

Happy Holidays!  

Hi Friends! My name is Sam and I'm a senior Biology major at UP. I'm also the 4th floor RA in Mehling (the best dorm ever)! Here are a few things that I love right now: tea, friends, sunshine, bows, scarves, salted caramel anything, and hand-written letters. I'm so excited to be a member of Her Campus here at UP and can't wait to share new and fun things with everyone!