Five Habits of a Sucessful Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

Now that we’ve made it through our first week of the school year, it’s time to buckle down and build some successful habits. So let’s start some new routines to kick off the semester.

1. Practice good dental habits.

It’s easy to forget things in the morning rush to get to class so build in some time after class to clean your chompers. Also, if you’re like me and suffered through braces for several years, you probably have a retainer. As annoying as it may be, you should wear it 3-4 times a week at least. Otherwise your teeth may shift and no one wants that.  

2. Don’t go to class on an empty stomach.

If you’re unlucky enough to have an 8:10 this semester, make sure you have something quick in your dorm to eat. A granola bar, a piece of cheese, or a breakfast burrito are all easy ways to perk up before class.

3. Have a “go to” outfit.

We’ve all had instances where getting out bed is a twenty minute process, so save yourself some time with a pre-coordinated outfit. It could be your favorite tee and some skinny jeans or leggings and a sweater. Just pick something comfy and easy to throw on.

4. Pick a laundry day.

Have a set day (that’s not Sunday evening if you’re living in the dorms) where you dedicate two hours for laundry every week or two. It’s easy to forgo laundry if you’re schedule’s crazy so build it into your schedule before midterms hit. And don’t forget to wash your sheets!

5.  Eat your fruits and veggies!

In between the burgers and donuts, it’s important your body is getting all the nutrition it needs. You should have at least one serving of fruits or vegetables a day. It would be even better if you could have both! Besides, you don’t want to be the kid that got scurvy because you only ate pizza for a month.

I'm an Environmental Ethics and Policy Major, an intersectional feminist, and fashion lover.