Campus Celebrity: Chloé Ruffin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Portland chapter.

In searching for a multi-tasker extraordinaire, look no further than ASUP Vice President Chloé Ruffin. Even as this senior education major completes her full-time student teaching at George Middle School, she still manages to successfully juggle all aspects of her life. Her Campus sat down with Ms. Ruffin to learn how she does it!

How do you juggle teaching, ASUP, and classes? 
Dedication and some serious time management. Also, I love Google calendars!

Is it difficult being in a position of power? Why or why not?
Yes, at times. Friends tend to think that I can pull strings because of my position, but I am not that kind of person. I am very ethical and true to my word. 

Would you encourage other women to pursue leadership positions as you have?
Of course! We always need more women in positions of power. I almost feel as if this should not even be a question; I encourage women AND men to pursue leadership positions if that is what they are interested in. There are so many people out there (especially women) who have amazing ideas that could really make some amazing changes around here if they became involved.

What do you want to do after graduation? 
I want to get a job. I want to work my way up the leadership ladder and to affect education in a larger scale. Maybe I’ll be a superintendent. 

Given your busy schedule and ambitious outlook, do you have a piece of advice for underclassmen?
Only get involved with things that YOU want to be involved in. Do not feel pressured into doing something that you don’t want to do. Your time is valuable and you should recognize that. 

What are some little-known facts about you?  
I LOVE BRIDGES and I have three adopted siblings. 

Any favorite hobbies?
I enjoy playing intramural volleyball, going out to eat, and trying out new pubs.

Lastly, what is your favorite thing about UP?
The community. I have met so many amazing people that are going to go so far in life. We have game changers on campus and I cannot wait to see what they do. 

With the time commitment of student teaching and education classes in mind, Ruffin was almost forced to resign her VP position before she even started. Through dedication and strict time management, however, she has proved to herself and to the UP community that she can wear many hats—and wear them well! 

Hailing from eastern Washington, Julia attends the University of Portland in Oregon, as a Communication Studies major with an emphasis on Journalism. As a magazine and book junkie, Julia reads everything (and anything) she can get her hands on, especially those passionate on young adult culture and entertainment. A woman that gets stir-crazy easily, Julia has been fortunate to have traveled many summers in a row to foreign countries, including a study abroad course in Austria, Germany, and Great Britain. Since a ripe age, she has grown and cultivated her passion and dream of working for a magazine and spreading awareness as well as happiness through the tips of her fingers. Always finding time for herself, Julia can frequently be found quoting movie lines (most frequently Will Ferrell or Vince Vaughn), having a 90's dance party with her roommates, or rereading "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows" for the 40th time.