This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Now that classes have started (alas, O Week cannot last forever), people are starting to pick out outfits for the regular day-to-day grind. In high school, a lot of outfits looked the same: sweats with your school logo, Hollister jeans and tops from Forever21, a baggy sweater with leggings. But now, in primetime young adulthood, we make the transition from immature to professional clothing, and the in-between is where things get fun! We can express ourselves through our own fashion sense, or even the decision that being comfortable in class is more important than wearing what’s currently “in.” Forbes and Fifth can be your dressing room or your runway, whether you want to try new styles or you’re confident about the style you call your own!

My hope in this article is to encourage those of you who are timid about trying something new, or nervous that what you wore at home doesn’t fit in here. I say “you do you.” College is known as the time to reinvent yourself, so why not apply that to trying styles or stores that you’ve always wanted to, but haven’t? I understand being afraid of judgment – I think everyone does a little staring on their dull walks to class. But no one is going to remember an outfit they sort of disliked, although they will remember an outfit they loved!

I saw a Yak today that said “can we place a weight limit on leggings?” The answer is: no! Your own opinion of how you look matters a million times more than what anybody else thinks. Do you know why? Because the thing that makes a look is confidence. If you like your clothing, you can exude a confidence that will encourage other people to like it too. But if you’re unsatisfied with the way you look when you leave your dorm, your discouragement could carry over into your demeanor without you ever realizing it. So say goodbye to anything that’s trying to keep you in a mold. Be freed by college and by Pittsburgh to love the way you do you!

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3

Casey Schmauder is a Campus Correspondent and the President of Her Campus at the University of Pittsburgh. She is a senior at Pitt studying English Nonfiction Writing with a concentration in Public and Professional Writing. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt