danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
danielle macinnes IuLgi9PWETU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Profile of Pitt Career Services, Your Go-To Place for All Things Career Oriented

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

The Career Development and Placement Assistance (CDPA) branch of Pitt’s Student Affairs is one of the most helpful and important offices on our campus. Whether you’re looking for someone to take a quick look at your resume or you need some hands-on assistance looking for “real life” jobs, this is the place for you! Best of all, it’s free for all full-time undergraduate students here at Pitt! Furthermore, the CDPA also works with graduate students and alumni to provide life-long career support. 

What is CDPA?

CDPA offers a range of services to help students succeed in both their college careers and beyond. This includes connections with employers, one-on-one career consultations and skills workshops to name a few. You can find more general information about the CDPA here

Internships

One of the big programs run through this office is the “Internship Guarantee.” This includes an extensive number of comprehensive workshops to help you build skills in interviewing, resume writing, and many other important job-hunting skills as well as connecting you with potential employers. This program guarantees that any Pitt student who completes all the requirements outlined here will get some kind of internship experience. Most of the workshops, as outlined here, don’t require you to sign up beforehand so you can just show up! The CDPA is located on the second floor of the William Pitt Union, so head on over and check it out sometime!

Handshake

New this year, Handshake is the brand new interface CDPA is using to connect students with career-boosting resources. You can get to your own personal account through my.pitt.edu under the “handshake” link on the right-hand side. Once there, you’ll see that you can customize your profile by uploading resumes and cover letters, major and minor information, and other things an employer might be interested in seeing. Furthermore, you can search based on the information you provided to look for internships and jobs that would be right for you! Some of these opportunities will even allow you to send in an application or set up an interview right then and there. For more information on handshake, take a look at this

Career Closet

Want to attend the next career fair or have an important interview but you have nothing “fancy” to wear? Have no fear! CDPA’s “Career Closet” gives students the ability to borrow formal clothing to wear for these events. Located in 224 WPU, this is an invaluable resource for students who are concerned about looking their best. Find more information on their borrowing process and open houses, check out this page

Events

Fall 2016 Career Fair

This one is coming up quick: September 28-29 and October 5-6! Stretched out over four days in two weeks, this career fair is bringing (currently) 223 different employers to campus who want to talk to you about internships, part-time and full-time jobs. Check out the full list of registered employers and register yourself to attend here. The first week is meant for STEM majors while the second is for business, humanities and social sciences students. The fair runs in the WPU from 11-3 each day and dress is business professional. Make sure to bring lots of resumes and a good attitude to represent your Panther Pride! And don’t forget to download the “Pitt Career Fair Plus” app for free on the app store to filter through employers, check out the floor layout, and much more!

Majors and Minors Expo

Still not sure what you want to do here at Pitt or are looking for what other academic opportunities are available to you? Come to WPU on October 13th from 11-3 and see all the different majors, minors and certificates you can take and talk to people from those departments to get more information. Great for underclassmen who aren’t sure yet what they want to do. Plus, the first 500 students to arrive get a free giveaway!

Greater Pittsburgh Law Fair

Come to WPU on October 19th from 11-2 to meet law recruiters from schools all around the country! This event is also open to any students or alumni affiliated with Universities located in Western Pennsylvania (so not just Pitt).

With all this in hand, you are already on your way to an amazing career for your years beyond Pitt!

Photo Credits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Sources: 1

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Hi! I'm Jessie and I am currently dual majoring in communication and non-fiction writing at The University of Pittsburgh. I am also the Senior Editor for Pitt's Her Campus! I emulate everything Carrie Bradshaw and can watch Breakfast At Tiffany's everyday for the rest of my life. You can usually find me blasting country music a little too loud while wearing a floppy hat.