Pittsburgh Summer Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Stuck in Pittsburgh for the summer? Well, fortunately for you, you’ve picked a fun city, and I’m not just talking about Oakland. We spend enough time as it is in Oakland as Pitt students, and as entertaining as the neighborhood is, why not go out and explore the city we’ve all come to love? Don’t know where to start? No worries. I’m a true Yinzer and here to give you a few must-do activities to add to your 2013 summer bucket list!

Kayaking on the North Shore

Pittsburgh is known for its three rivers and being the city with the most bridges in the world, so why not enjoy these wonderful city characteristics to the fullest? Starting May 4th, you can rent a Kayak and go on the Allegheny River from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m., and let me tell you, one of the most beautiful sites around is the sunset against the city skyline. Whether you go the romantic sunset route or make a day of it, kayaking on the river is an experience you will never forget.

http://www.kayakpittsburgh.org/locations/downtown/

Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium

Whether you’re young, old, in a group, or by yourself, the zoo is always an amusing time. From the African Savanna to the Asian Forest, there are activities every day for any age. Not to mention the tickets are pretty cheap also. Take your younger brother or sister here or make it a date. No matter what the reason for going is you are sure to have a blast!

http://www.pittsburghzoo.org/

Three Rivers Art Festival

Do you like good food? Hand-made jewelry? One of a kind art? Amazing music? Then the Three Rivers Art Festival is the place for you! Down at the Point in Downtown Pittsburgh from June 7th-16th this festival will be going on and it is a must-do!

http://www.3riversartsfest.org/

Pirates Games

So not everyone may be a Pirates fan, but you really can’t hate them considering they usually aren’t a threat. But, whether they’re playing well or not, I can promise the experience is worth it. When ESPN graded all the major-league baseball stadiums a year or two ago, Pittsburgh’s PNC Park took top honors. It truly is a great place to watch a baseball game, get some sun, and enjoy an amazing view of the city.

Mt. Washington

How could Mt. Washington not be included as a must-see experience for a Pittsburgh bucket list? Not only is it free (your Pitt I.D. will get you up the incline for free), but the view is ranked 2nd in the nation only taking a backseat to the Grand Canyon. There’s also an ice cream shop up there, which has some of the best homemade ice cream I have ever tried. This is a great spot to take a date or family member from out of town.

Pittsburgh can be a really fun city if you choose to explore it! Take advantage of the free time the summer allows you and find out what this beautiful city has to offer!

Photo Credit: 1

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt