Julia Helgert: The Face Behind HC Pitt’s Social Media Presence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Name:

Julia Helgert Year:

2017 Major/Minor:

Media and Professional Communications

with certificates in Digital Media, Corporate and Community Relations, and Writing for the Professions!

Where are you from?

Natrona Heights, Pennsylvania What’s your favorite food and favorite place to eat?

Hmmm. This is a tough one. I LOVE all Italian food. But in Oakland? My fave place would be Fuel & Fuddle mainly because of their sweet potato fries! Hobbies? Photography, baking, hanging out with my daughter Eva, singing in the car, and watching scary movies are probably my top five!

Why did you choose Pitt?

You know when you can just tell something is right? Like a gut feeling? That’s how I felt when I stepped on Pitt’s campus for the first time. I know that sounds so cheesy but I can’t describe it any other way. Pitt was the only school I ever wanted to go to. I love that it’s a big school, it’s competitive and you obviously get a great education here, the atmosphere of being in the middle of the city where everything is going on, and more than anything, the Pitt pride that any student/professor/staff member has for this University is what made it so amazing to me.

So what do you do in Her Campus; what’s your position?

I am the social media editor and photographer, so most likely I am running around like a crazy person on campus to get a good pic for our instagram, or *trying* to make sure all our social channels are as active and relatable as possible! Are you in any other clubs or on-campus organizations?

I’m a marketing and social media intern in Pitt’s career office where I help put on events like the career fairs, run the office’s social media channels, and send e-newsletters out to students! (And apparently this year my job description included being the poster child for the career fair flyers). I was the president of the College of General Studies Student Government last school year, which was definitely one of the best experiences I’ve had as a student. I was also on the search committee for hiring a new director of Pitt’s Hillman Library this year, and I’m part of the Diversity and Inclusion committee at Pitt as well!

What do you want to do after graduating?

I would love to do something with marketing or public relations! Honestly anything where I’m working with people and my routine isn’t exactly the same every day. What’s it like being a mother and college student?

Exactly what everyone would expect it to be: crazy! Most days I really do feel like I’d forget my head if it wasn’t screwed on but in all honesty it’s just as awesome as it is hectic. I usually drop Eva off at preschool, head to my internship for the first half of the day, grab something to eat once I’m done there and then go to night class. Once I get home at the end of the night, I spend some time playing with Eva, get her bathed and ready for bed, then do all my homework once she’s asleep! I usually stay up way too late but it’s the only time I can be super productive, so you have to make use of those hours! There are days where I am completely exhausted because my brain is off in so many different directions but those are the times when I remind myself that I am SO lucky to be able to do both – be a mom and a student. Tell us about your daughter?

She is the biggest ham but also the biggest sweetheart all rolled into one! She’s 3.5 going on 13 right now and this age is absolutely hilarious. I cannot believe some of the things that come out of her mouth! This year, she wanted to be cotton candy for Halloween, so I made her a costume (thanks to Pinterest) and she was in her glory. When we went trick or treating, so many people told her they wanted to eat her and she told every single one of them: “No! It’s not real cotton candy, it’s just made of polyfill!” You just can’t make this stuff up.

How do you balance all of your responsibilities and stay sane? (Please give me tips to your success!!)

HAHA! Umm, my life is literally held together by 6 million to-do lists on sticky notes tacked onto my folders, computer, planner, etc. I also have alarms set in my phone for every random hour of the day / night to remind me of things. But most importantly, my family and God. I have the best support system anyone could ever ask for. If it weren’t for my parents letting me live at home and helping babysit Eva while I finish school, this literally wouldn’t be possible (or at least it would have taken me A LOT longer). I always say they should be getting a diploma at graduation with me because of the work they’ve put into helping me accomplish this. And all my motivation to keep pushing forward when it’s tough comes from God. Do you have any advice for other student mothers?

I would use the quote: “It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop”

Even if you only take ONE class during a semester, DO NOT stop! When you look ahead at all you have to accomplish to graduate, it will seem completely overwhelming. But time passes by so fast (especially when you’re watching your child grow) that before you know it you’ll have more completed than you’d ever imagined. You CAN do this! Also, don’t beat yourself up for being tired, overwhelmed, or stressed at times. This comes with the territory and is totally normal. But I know mom guilt is such a huge thing, so don’t let yourself feel bad about this.

What’s the biggest/most important thing you’ve learned through your experiences as a young mother and college student?

God always has a plan for your life. It’s probably 100% different, and sometimes a lot harder, than what you had in mind, but that’s ok because it’s also way better than what you had in mind.

Hi! I'm a senior at the University of Pittsburgh majoring in communication and nonfiction writing. This is my third year at Her Campus Pitt and my second year as the entertainment category editor! I'm also a chapter advisor this semester! I'm a pizza-loving cat mom with a chronic habit of napping from the Boston area. I enjoy spending time binge-watching netflix, snuggling, reading, writing, cooking, and hanging out with my friends. I'm looking forward to becoming increasingly involved with everything Her Campus over the remainder of the college career! Thanks for reading my articles and always feel free to contact me with feedback :)
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt