HC Pitt’s Monthly Favorites – Summer Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

We like to think that, as a group, we’re some of Pitt’s best trendsetters (insert hair flip emoji here). As such, we want to share with you some of our current but fleeting obsessions—from style and beauty, to foods and entertainment. We know we’ll move on to something new to obsess over soon, but here’s what we really loved over the summer!

Lexi Surunis: Bracelets!Why we’re obsessed: I went on a few trips this summer to different places and each time I added a bracelet to the collection! Whether it was a homemade friendship bracelet or one purchased from somewhere, I don’t think my wrist was bare at all this summer.

Jessie Iacullo: T-shirt dresses!Why we’re obsessed: They’re the most comfortable things ever, and they’re an easy way to look (semi) put-together. When I wasn’t working they were literally the only things I would wear, especially with white converse.

Katie Piscopio: Snapbacks!

Why we’re obsessed: I never thought I could pull them off, but I bought a couple with cool designs on them this summer (like the one above) and rocked them all the time at camp. They were perfect for a bad hair day and made me look stylish even in a staff shirt every day!

Sarita Brady: Nicki Minaj!Why we’re obsessed: I liked her before, but since her remix with Beyoncé, Anaconda, and Bang Bang, I think she is the most relevant artist right now, and I’m obsessed.

Kevin Narby: Yuengling Summer Wheat!

Why we’re obsessed: Pretty much every Pitt student knows Yuengling Lager as a typical beer staple in Oakland, but the Summer Wheat, released early this summer, was something different. Made in the German Hefeweizen style, it has a great light body as well as banana, honey, and spice notes, which provide a nice full flavor.

Fredrika Unander-Scharin: Big Brother!

Why we’re obsessed: This summer (like fifteen summers previously), Big Brother U.S. features sixteen strangers (literally) fighting to win half a million dollars by surviving three months of no outside contact. This season’s cast includes an undercover cop, a priest, an unemployed college graduate, and Ariana Grande’s older brother. Zach, the unemployed college grad, is my favorite but now that he’s (spoiler alert!) been evicted, I don’t know whom to root for…

Morgan Everett: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver!Why we’re obsessed: The first episode was released in late April, and I cannot adequately explain how hilarious it is. Basically, it’s John Oliver’s take on the comedy news genre (i.e. The Daily Show), and it’s consistently hilarious, intelligent, and inventive. Also, it’s on HBO, which means his rants are uncensored (woo!). Definitely a must-see for Colbert and Jon Stewart fans.

Emily Kearns: Dry shampoo!

Why we’re obsessed: It’s not good to wash your hair every single day, so this was perfect to use on days that I didn’t wash mine. It absorbed the excess oils and made my hair easier to style!

Amanda Corrado: Zumba classes!

Why we’re obsessed: Even though I’m not the best dancer, the teacher made it super fun and she played THE BEST beats along with it to pump us up even more. It didn’t even feel like a workout, but I knew it was good for me after a long day of working.

Lauren Nace: Buffy the Vampire Slayer!Why we’re obsessed: This show is all about girl-power and has had some of the best pop-culture references I’ve seen on television; do I really need any other reason to be obsessed with it? Showrunner Joss Whedon is a genius.

Abby Stubenbort: American Horror Story!

Why we’re obsessed: I finally watched the first season this summer with a friend, and after being SCARED OUT OF MY WITS, I finally got the hang of the show and FELL IN LOVE. The directing, camera work, editing, EVERYTHING is just so cinematic and tightly packed into a 60-minute show. The show is FULL of some awesome lady-power, and all the women characters are so fierce and powerful (Jessica Lange is my QUEEN). But, also, Evan Peters is such a babe, and I am so in love. I can’t wait for season 4!

Image credit: 1, Katie’s own, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

BA in Communication and Business Certificate in Digital Media University of Pittsburgh 2016   HC Pitt Business Manager & Social Media Manager 2015-2016 I like sleep and pop culture. @laurnace | laurnace@gmail.com *Opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect Her Campus or Her Campus Pitt as a whole nor do others' opinions necessarily reflect my own. 
Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt