The Cosmic Shift: Change in Friendship Dynamics

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Some may say that college is the best four years of your life. We experience so many things together, and the best part is that we don’t have to do it alone.  We have a group of friends, or sometimes just one friend, that is right there with us through it all. But what happens when that person isn’t there? It’s crazy how someone can be your closest friend and all of a sudden you two don’t click as much as before or maybe they just found other people to hang out with instead. It can be such a disheartening feeling when friendship dynamics change and you can no longer connect with that person the same way.  The following are some common situations I have experienced and seen in my college experience.

Freshman year BFF

I’m pretty sure we all have this one.  Freshman year you and this friend were connected at the hip, but now you barely even want to talk to her.  It may seem crazy how for some odd reason there was some cosmic shift in the universe that made you go from wanting to be around that person 24/7 to awkwardly saying hello when you see them on campus. While it sucks and it hurts, you just have to keep hanging out with the new friends, but never forget this friend. Even though things aren’t the same, at one point this person meant something to you, so don’t hesitate to grab lunch with them from time to time. This was your closest friend at one point, and no matter how far apart you seem, there is always a chance things can return.

Your Friend Fell in Love

Now don’t get me wrong, love is a beautiful thing. But when your good friend is around all the time and then suddenly disappears with his or her new special someone, it is easy to feel neglected.  As hard as this is, you have to take a step back. If your friend can’t understand how to balance all the elements of his or her life then that is something only he or she can fix. All you can do is voice your concern once and then leave it alone. Hopefully, your friend will come to the understanding that you were there before and you will be after. If that does happen and a sincere apology occurs then maybe there is room for a second chance. And let’s face it, who hasn’t been blinded by love ?

A little bit of change

We have to understand that people change. Let’s say you have a friend that used to always go out to parties with you on the weekends, but now they are no longer interested in the party scene.  It may be a little frustrating that you lost your wing girl or boy but that doesn’t make the friendship go away. This type of change isn’t something that should break a friendship.  This is simply just a change of interest. Don’t forget about the times when that friend was there for you and that’s all that should matter.

Friends come and go, and it is hard to wrap your mind around it. Enjoy the ones you have in the present moment, and if the others are meant to come back, they will. Take care of the people you love, and show them that no matter what, they always matter.

Photo credit:

http://tifr.us/storage/post-images/Friends-__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1249603445080.jpg

Thanks for reading our content! hcxo, HC at Pitt