Cameron Roeback: Pitt Freshman and Screenwriting Competition Finalist!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Pitt chapter.

Imagine entering 12 pages of script into a screenwriting competition, and then finding out you’ve won $30,000 and that your script is being turned into a short film… your freshman year of college. This fantasy may become a reality for Pitt’s own, Cameron Roeback.

Cameron( originally from Erie, Pennsylvania) is a freshman Finance major who is heavily involved with UPTV;the University of Pittsburgh’s Television Channel.  Cameron is one of twelve finalists who are currently in the running for this amazing grand prize, through an organization called “Steeltown Entertainment”. Steeltown Entertainment is a local organization that is attempting to foster and build the film community in Pittsburgh, PA. Due to the recent number of movies that have been shot in the area, Pittsburgh’s film community is steadily growing and expanding.

Steeltown Entertainment’s screenwriting competition occurs annually, and last year’s winner was a junior from Carnegie Mellon University. As the winner of the competition, this young screenwriter’s screenplay “The Perils of Growing Up Flat Chested” is now a short film and premiered at this past year’s Tribeca Film Festival. Hundreds of applicants apply to this competition from all over the country, so high honor and respect is attached to even being named a finalist. As one of the top 12, Cameron was given the opportunity to pitch his screenplay to a panel of award-winning Hollywood producers two weeks ago in front of a live audience. Soon, Cameron will find out if he will advance to the next round.

The requirements for the competition are merely to write a 12 page script that can be turned into a screenplay, and Cameron Roeback did just that. His story discusses the relationships and dynamics of a young family with a son that is openly gay.

Q: So Cameron, what are you currently majoring in and where do you see yourself in the next ten years?

A: Finance, and I actually have no idea what I’ll be doing in the future.

Q: So if you’re a Finance major, how did you get into screenwriting?

A: I actually didn’t know that I was into screenwriting. This is actually the first screenplay I have ever written. I just went into it wanting to write it as well as I could.

Q: Where did the idea for the screenplay come from?

I’ve always just been inspired by family and family bonds, and I really wanted to explore the bond of brotherhood. The focus of the screenplay was never that one of the brother’s was gay, it was more about the family and their relationships.

Q: Gay rights is arguably the most relevant and important issue in America right now, how does this screenplay fit into this significant time in history?

A: This film wasn’t meant to be a reply to the political issue. It was more geared to the idea that I don’t think families should be torn apart by anything that has to do with politics or religion.

Q: As a heterosexual male, how did you capture the intricacies of a relationship you do not have much experience with?

A: I did a lot of research. I’ve had some friends who’ve been in situations like this and also tried to find some other people to talk to. For instance, I spoke to a very religious woman who had two lesbian daughters.

Q: What would you say to someone thinking about entering next year?

A: I would say, you just have to believe in yourself. I mean, I could have just said that I’m not a Film major so I shouldn’t waste my time. But it’s just a matter of seeing that just because someone has a better education or more experience, doesn’t mean that you aren’t as capable as them. So you just have to believe in yourself and try as hard as you can.

Q: When you found out you were a finalist, what were you thinking and did you think you’d ever be one?

A: I was absolutely overwhelmed and in disbelief.  I had hope that I might win, but I wouldn’t have bet on it.

Q: What were the other finalists like?

I would say that most of the other contestants were college graduates, there may have been one or two other undergrads. There were also some people who were much older. However, I’d say that most of them were from Western, PA.

Q: If you end up winning this competition, do you think you’ll pursue a career in screenwriting?

If I won this competition, it would be absolutely amazing and I think I would seriously consider following screenwriting as a career.

…. Let’s hope that he does!